New Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dom11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, just wondering if I'm being paranoid for no reason. I set up a 6 gallon aquarium last week and it has been cycling and yesterday I went out to get some fish for it. I bought 2 cherry Barbs and 2 Corydoras (albino). When I first put them in they were zooming up and down the tank and to the surface for about an hour. After that they settled down and didn't move for a while. Today only one cory has been active swimming up and down the tank pretty quickly but the other one has barely moved at all.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They look like they have plenty of room to me. One of them looks very active and happy

You probably have an uncycled tank that now has fish in it.

You are going to need to test for ammonia and do water changes to bring the level below 0.25ppm.

I have been adding beneficial bacteria and my filter has bacteria in it. Should I do a small water change tomorrow?

I have been adding beneficial bacteria and my filter has bacteria in it. Should I do a small water change tomorrow?
You should test for ammonia and nitrite levels than you can decide.

If you have properly preserved bacteria from another aquarium in it than they cycle will be brief but you still need to manage it. Especially since you put a fairly large bioload in the tank.

Okay thanks

Did you store tell you it would be ok ?

Don't take their advice.

Fish need tanks that are proper for their adult size. The Cories at most stores are babies or juveniles. They get bigger. Or they die young. Cories can live over 10 yrs.

Please read up. This site has some great stickies.

I come across as rude, but just trying to help you keep your fish happy n healthy.

Keep an open mind and keep learning. After 40yrs of keeping fish, I'm still learning.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they did put its not a little push store like mets mart or pets at home. It's a very good store that does tell you what can and can't go. It's called Maidenhead aquatics. I wanted a dwarf gourami but unfortunately they said it wouldn't be a good idea

Yes they did put its not a little push store like mets mart or pets at home. It's a very good store that does tell you what can and can't go. It's called Maidenhead aquatics. I wanted a dwarf gourami but unfortunately they said it wouldn't be a good idea

Im sorry but what they sold you isn't a good idea either. The fish should be returned or re-homed and you can start over with a suitable species or a beta.

As others have stated you have fish that belong in schools and they will outgrow that tank (if they haven't already). Good way to think of it is buying a Lab puppy putting him in the smallest pet carrier and saying "well he fits." Things grow and need space.

Opinions range a lot on what fish will be ok in what environment and what the minimum standard is for surviving vs thriving.

However very very few will agree that those fish are ok in a 6 gallon.

Given that your earliest impulse was to come here and ask if something is wrong ... Consider that yes, something is really wrong. Several experienced fishkeepers who have made the same mistake are explaining what's wrong.

The bottled bacteria doesn't always work. What do you mean when you say the filter has bacteria in it?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yes it is the bottled bacteria I used. But I also used it in a 54 litre (14 gallon) that I set up two months ago and I have had no problems at all with any of my fish in there and they are all healthy. I do a 50% water change once a week in my 14 gallon.

Hi Dom, if a mates got an established tank, grab a squeeze of his filter and pop it in your filter, that will give the fish time while you sort a bigger tank........

What about some from a cold water tank? Would it make any difference? Cause I have one of them

Hi dom
In response to your original question, I find that cories will zoom all over:
1. Newly added to the tank
2. During water change
3. Nighttime
The behavior is normal, but I will agree with other posters they are much happier in larger groups (6 or more) which would be inappropriate for a 6 gallon tank. Good luck!

Thank you. I have heard of loads of people and seen many people that have only one or two cories and are happy and healthy and there seems to be plenty of room for them. Thanks for your help

You need a bigger tank for the cories or they will not last long. They need to be in groups of at least 5-6 to thrive. Kept in smaller groups they will become stressed and stress with fish leads to you know what. We're all trying to help you. Things may come across as rude but you should really research fish before buying. The only fish I would put in a 6 gallon would be a betta

So why couldn't I just add a third one? It's not like there isn't plenty of space for them. I don't understand why you're saying they need so much more room. I've heard loads of people keeping two or three in small tanks and living a long time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom