New fish and the water in the bag from the fish shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know more than a handful or two that do, myself included. All my fish purchases come from importers and when they arrive, they're packed with meth blue. You don't want any of that in any tank as it's such a PITA to get out.

I agree there. No way I would put the water in from newly imorted fish. Plus, they would definitely go into quarantine. Some fish are imported with mild sedative in the water too!

I don't put the bag water in just because it's not my water and I'd feel like I was contaminating my water even though I know it's unlikely adding the water would cause problems.

I don't QT new arrivals either.

The water in the bag isn't good to add to your tank

The fish have traveled in that bag for how ever long it took you to get home with no filtration

Why would you want to add dirty water to your tank

Exactly the point !!! So what difference if it's 3000 miles and 30 hours or 3 miles and 30 minutes. Netting a fish WILL stress them. We all know that any big chain store doesn't have the optimal water conditions we have at home. Nets go from tank to tank and so on. Since the chance is there that something "could" be in the bagged water, as it comes right from the tank, why take that risk ?

Maybe its a question of scale here. Adding that bag water to my main tank would be 0.3% or so. Adding to the QT would be a lot more - lets say 10%. So 2ppm ammonia in bag (example) would go to 0.2% ppm in QT. Not understanding the risk.

Disease wise, I can appreciate the logic but again don't get how the risk is significantly greater compared to anything living in/on the fish or indeed in my tank. Quite willing to be converted but not so at the moment.

My LFS have a dip that their nets go in after every tank. Not sure what the dip is but it's a sterilising method I guess. Similar to the net dips before fishing a pond?

The point is. It takes 2 mins to net the fish and chuck the bag water down the drain and it eliminates any uncertainties concerned with the bag water itself so why not just do it?

Like Dela I'm not convinced it's a Mandatory preventative measure.

My LFS have a dip that their nets go in after every tank. Not sure what the dip is but it's a sterilising method I guess. Similar to the net dips before fishing a pond?

The point is. It takes 2 mins to net the fish and chuck the bag water down the drain and it eliminates any uncertainties concerned with the bag water itself so why not just do it?

Like Dela I'm not convinced it's a Mandatory preventative measure.

Wish mine had that :)

Good point, can't argue against that (not that I was trying to but just curious).

I usually open my bag into a small 2 gallon tank and begin a drip-acclimation process. When done I net the fish and place in the QT tank. It's fairly easy.

In reality, how many hobbyists actually quarantine their fish?

There isn't likely to be anything in the water that isn't already on the fish, otherwise the store would have problems.

In reality, I would have to say that the greater majority of hobbyists quarantine fish. Ask anyone that has invested hundreds or thousands into their fish and setups and you will be hard pressed to find someone that does not spend the time to invest in a quarantine or quarantine new fish. Or ask the numerous people that learned the hard way why quarantine is important. This holds to an even greater reality with saltwater. Serious planted tank enthusiasts even quarantine plants as well as fish. Perhaps for a single betta that is going into a 10g by himself with no other fish in the house to put at risk this would not apply but why risk healthy stock when quarantines can be easily and inexpensively setup. :)

In reality, I would have to say that the greater majority of hobbyists quarantine fish. Ask anyone that has invested hundreds or thousands into their fish and setups and you will be hard pressed to find someone that does not spend the time to invest in a quarantine or quarantine new fish. Or ask the numerous people that learned the hard way why quarantine is important. This holds to an even greater reality with saltwater. Serious planted tank enthusiasts even quarantine plants as well as fish. Perhaps for a single betta that is going into a 10g by himself with no other fish in the house to put at risk this would not apply but why risk healthy stock when quarantines can be easily and inexpensively setup. :)
+1 I'm not risking my display, 2-3 of paraguard and then we'll talk big tank fishies..

I do not know anyone who has spent thousands on their fish and their setups. People forget that outside of this forum there are thousands of people walking in to shops around the world and buying fish and new tanks every single day.

For that reason I would say that the majority do not.

I do not know anyone who has spent thousands on their fish and their setups. People forget that outside of this forum there are thousands of people walking in to shops around the world and buying fish and new tanks every single day. For that reason I would say that the majority do not.
those people also are the ones going back again and again and again to restock their fish that keep dying...

I was "that guy" with a sick ram in a 10 gal tank... Hence my first post on here:) if you have the resources there is no good reason not to qt, I understand why you wouldn't bother.. I'm just not going to risk my $999 investment;)

I was "that guy" with a sick ram in a 10 gal tank... Hence my first post on here:) if you have the resources there is no good reason not to qt, I understand why you wouldn't bother.. I'm just not going to risk my $999 investment;)

That's fine I'm not telling anybody not to quarantine :) If that's what they do and it works for them that's fine. I don't quarantine for reasons mentioned in another thread.

I never tell anyone what they should and should not do. I just give reasons for and against and my honest opinions and let the person decide.

There are more people with a 10gal and a couple of Molly's in this world than there are who own expensive 300gal marine fish or prized koi ponds.

There are many breeders, sellers and prized keepers on this forum which is a brilliant thing but most will mix in different circles to joe public who has just gone in to Petco for a 10gal. Best not to forget where the majority lie.

I just believe that sometimes we can make this hobby harder than it really needs to be :)

All very true caliban! But... Big but.. When you have $200 worth of fish swimming around in your 29 gal tank... Takes it to another level..

Well, that was an interesting debate. Thanks for your opinions :) ....from all of that, I will NOT put the water into my tank, I don't have a QT, so they will have to go directly into the main tank. I take it a qt would be say, a 20ltr tank, cycled? And how long would you leave the fish in it before transfer, and what do you do with the water in that tank once you do the transfer? Thank you... Love the fact that so many people are so helpful and patient to us newbies, it's nice to be in a group that is passionate about their hobby. I love my fish!!

+100 !!!!

Hi all,
I have read a couple of times, that when I get new fish, float the bag in my tank, to adjust the temp, then add small portions of your tank water into the bag. I understand and do that, but they are also saying when I put the fish into my tank make sure u don't tip the water into the tank as well, I don't do that. Why can't I tip fish AND the water into the tank?? Thanks

Acclimate the fish, take the fish out with net or hand and place in tank.
You do not want to mix any store water with yours, just in case.

Well, that was an interesting debate. Thanks for your opinions :) ....from all of that, I will NOT put the water into my tank, I don't have a QT, so they will have to go directly into the main tank. I take it a qt would be say, a 20ltr tank, cycled? And how long would you leave the fish in it before transfer, and what do you do with the water in that tank once you do the transfer? Thank you... Love the fact that so many people are so helpful and patient to us newbies, it's nice to be in a group that is passionate about their hobby. I love my fish!!

Oh it would have been disappointing if QT didn't come up :) Really good questions. Good you are getting the answers you need and we don't drift too far off tangent :)

I have a 20l for QT but it depends on what you are getting and if it will be big enough. And you have to consider if you will get a mini-cycle when you add the new fish to QT and do testing (even if you pinch media from the main tank).

IMO two weeks QT is needed minimum. A week would be the bare minimum. Thinking back others have said they do a month (hopefully got that right).

The water out of the QT I'd ditch. Also in IMO I wouldn't add the media from QT back to main tank as is. I consider the risk a bit higher there and would either ditch or clean, dry for a bit in air and then add back to re-seed.

Back
Top Bottom