New fish has popeye, any treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my fish for 5 days and everyone is doing great, except one of my fish has a really swollen eye. I saw it's called popeye and I'm wondering if there's anything specific I can do to help. It really looks like he got punched in the eye.

My tank is fully cycled and my readings are... Ammo-0 Nitrites-0 nitrAtes-10 pH-7.4

I also plan on getting corys as my next addition so I don't want to add salt to the tank if possible.

I also don't have a QT, but from what I've read it's not contagious.

What can I do to help?

I just checked VERY closely and no other fish have any problems. No spots, fins look good, swimming along happily. It's just the one neon who's kinda hiding behind the plants.

One other question... Is aquarium salt dangerous to corys? I'm reading online that it can help, but I don't want to add it if it can have a negative impact on the corys I'm getting.

I'm thinking this must be from an injury, because my water is pristine and all my numbers are perfect.

Thanks for suggestions.

im not sure,but i know it can hurt scaleless fish,but im pretty sure that as long as they have scales they should be fine.just for the record,you should really wait for someone else to reply,because ive never had cories

Just did a 20% pwc to be safe. Don't have a QT but I turned the lights off so he can hide and the other fish wont pick on him.

If your not against meds... Maracyn and maracyn two are the way to go. The good thing about popeye is that you don't have to treat the whole tank, and can just QT and treat the victims.

Homedog98 said:
If your not against meds... Maracyn and maracyn two are the way to go. The good thing about popeye is that you don't have to treat the whole tank, and can just QT and treat the victims.

Don't have a QT. Since I just got him 5 days ago I wonder if I can take him back to the lfs. Even though I'm reading it's not contagious in most cases...since it's all new fish it might not be worth risking. I just want to make sure they QT and treat him and not destroy the fish.

eco23 said:
Don't have a QT. Since I just got him 5 days ago I wonder if I can take him back to the lfs. Even though I'm reading it's not contagious in most cases...since it's all new fish it might not be worth risking. I just want to make sure they QT and treat him and not destroy the fish.

I'd just keep him and treat the whole tank. If he was in the same tank as the others, they probably would already have it. Besides, popeye is caused by parasites usually. I'd just treat him with the maracyn.

Anyway to make a temporary QT? Some of my established filter media and an airstone in something? I think my wife has an old 1 gallon betta tank.

eco23 said:
Anyway to make a temporary QT? Some of my established filter media and an airstone in something? I think my wife has an old 1 gallon betta tank.

Sure! Just established filter media, gravel, water (i know there's nothing important, but just in case) and an airstone aughta be perfect!

I just don't have another filter. I'd basically just be sticking some gravel, a piece of filter and an airstone in a gallon bucket. Also, I'm not seeing it linked to parasites anywhere. It really seems like an injury as it's only in one eye and the other fish are as healthy as can be.

eco23 said:
I just don't have another filter. I'd basically just be sticking some gravel, a piece of filter and an airstone in a gallon bucket. Also, I'm not seeing it linked to parasites anywhere. It really seems like an injury as it's only in one eye and the other fish are as healthy as can be.

Sounds good. I'd give it a try. It only takes about a week for it to go down, and the airstone and a daily 50% pwc aughta keep it pretty clean.

eco23 said:

Not personally (yet), but I've helped quite a few others who's fish had it, and their fish all recovered within a week. They used both maracyn, and aquarium salt. (I guess you can pull off the salt now, since you've got a QT)

Homedog98 said:
Sure! Just established filter media, gravel, water (i know there's nothing important, but just in case) and an airstone aughta be perfect!

Wow, you are very smart. That is a wonderful Idea!!!!!!

Hey Corys are real sensitive to salt I have read. They can't take any

Back
Top Bottom