New fish has popeye, any treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might actually be getting better. I thought he was a goner. Seems to have gotten a lot of his color back and his eye doesn't look as swollen. If I saw him eat a flake of food, I'd feel much better about his chances. I think I'd rather be swimming in his little QT instead of all the yard work I'm doing today. I missed the warm weather...I didn't miss the yard work that goes with it. And Deckape, I saw you mention a pool, I don't even want to think about opening mine yet. If it was up to me I'd get an ungodly pile of dirt and fill that sucker up.

Man if the kids wouldn't make me walk the plank I would...You help me and I will help you!

We'll split the cost of a dump truck rental. Or maybe we can convince the fams to convert them to giant coy ponds, lol.

eco23 said:
We'll split the cost of a dump truck rental. Or maybe we can convince the fams to convert them to giant coy ponds, lol.

Yea but I like the pool too. And since both my kids swim like the danios, Its fun to watch then too. And the PBR helps.

With what you'd save in pool chems, you can buy that new light fixture for the tank. PBR...the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems.

eco23 said:
With what you'd save in pool chems, you can buy that new light fixture for the tank. PBR...the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems.

Just a cycle ain't it?

eco23 said:
Might actually be getting better. I thought he was a goner. Seems to have gotten a lot of his color back and his eye doesn't look as swollen. If I saw him eat a flake of food, I'd feel much better about his chances. I think I'd rather be swimming in his little QT instead of all the yard work I'm doing today. I missed the warm weather...I didn't miss the yard work that goes with it. And Deckape, I saw you mention a pool, I don't even want to think about opening mine yet. If it was up to me I'd get an ungodly pile of dirt and fill that sucker up.

It's actually common for fish not to eat while injured or sick. I know that when ich attacked my aquarium, my tetra didn't eat for a week or two! He'll be fine, (knock on driftwood) just give him a chance to recover.

Homedog98 said:
It's actually common for fish not to eat while injured or sick. I know that when ich attacked my aquarium, my tetra didn't eat for a week or two! He'll be fine, (knock on driftwood) just give him a chance to recover.

Thanks :). He's just so tiny compared to the others in the main tank. Is it normal for a neon tetras colors to fade when they're sick or scared? He was so pale last night I was sure he was on his way out, but this morning they had gotten brighter.

eco23 said:
Thanks :). He's just so tiny compared to the others in the main tank. Is it normal for a neon tetras colors to fade when they're sick or scared? He was so pale last night I was sure he was on his way out, but this morning they had gotten brighter.

It's normal for all fish to do that.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I think the little guy just might pull through. He's swimming around in his little tank more than ever and is looking good.

The diameter of his eye is larger than the others in the main tank, but it is not protruding from his head at all anymore. I think I read that a fish with pop-eye may never return to normal looking because the tissue behind the eye is stretched...think of it like a super fat person getting really skinny.

If I just saw him take one nibble of food and brighten up a little, I'd feel much better. Thanks to Homedog, I know those things are normal, and my plan now is to continue the Macaryn until Friday (that will be the full 5 day course of the meds), and if all seems well, I'll reintroduce him to the tank.

Luckily it does seem this was an isolated thing where maybe he just injured his eye and it got inflamed. All the other fish seem 100%. If there was some sort of infection or problem with the tank, don't you guys think I would have seen another problem develop by now?

Ya, there probably would have been signs already if anyone else was sick. Glad he feels better!

Just my experience: I "treated" pop-eye on one guppy in a tank of several guppies by simply doing frequent PWC. That may not have been the correct course of action, but I didn't have a QT or meds and I heard that pop-eye is caused by poor water quality. Sure enough, after keeping the water VERY clean the guppy is good as ever!

JackSpadesSI said:
Just my experience: I "treated" pop-eye on one guppy in a tank of several guppies by simply doing frequent PWC. That may not have been the correct course of action, but I didn't have a QT or meds and I heard that pop-eye is caused by poor water quality. Sure enough, after keeping the water VERY clean the guppy is good as ever!

Thanks for the suggestion. My water is pristine, so I don't think that was the issue in my case. I think it was trauma to the eye and got inflamed. He's pretty much back to normal now, I'll reintroduce him to the main tank in a couple days. Thanks!

I'm just worried about leaving him alone too long cause he's getting so much smaller than the ones who are actually eating! I'd like to reintroduce him to the main tank...but the meds say to complete the 5 days of treatment even if he's better. Hopefully he won't waste away to nothing by then.

I think he'll be fine. He's such a fighter as is, and if he gets bullied, just get 1 more small neon so he can have a buddy. (I'm all for the buddy system... Too much girl scout camp I guess... Lol)

I'm really itching to to get this guy back into the main tank. He looks perfectly normal again (I think it was just an injury that healed), but he's definitely falling behind in size because he's not eating in his little hospital tank. I'd like to go ahead and reacclimate him, but since I gave him the meds as a precaution, it says to continue treatment for 5 days. Hopefully the little guy can hang on for another 2 days without starving himself.

Back
Top Bottom