New guy from Indiana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Remington

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All
I had a 40G in the past with great success. I lost it in the divorce[emoji22].

My very first pleco lived for seven years in that bad boy. He was a tank and I miss him daily. I started back up a few months back with a 10G. I filled it with a few tiger barbs and a headstander.

But I was bit hard by the fish bug and needed more. So I purchased a 55G. In my excitement for the bigger tank I overlooked/ ignored a lot of basic fish keeping rules. Most importantly the not overstocking a tank rule. This led to an ammonia spike then fish death then the final straw ICH. I unfortunately killed 8 fish in under 48 hrs. I was upset to say the least.

The 55G cycled and the 10G was decided to be planted.

The 55G currently houses four tiger barbs, two rainbow sharks, and a Bala shark. I know the Bala shark will outgrow it but I plan to keep upgrading as he/she needs.

The 10G has four guppies and three shrimp.

Oh yeah and then there is bonehead the beautiful betta in his fish bowl because he was being mean and I do not have a tank for him yet.

As time and paychecks allow I plan to upgrade to a 90G tank and get bonehead his very own 5/10G .

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Remington!

Sorry to hear about you having to miss your old friend Pleco the tank.

Looks like you are making up for lost time now and you will be on the way to knowledgeable fish keeping.

The article link in my signature will help give you a back up file of good basic info and maybe offer a few new tid bits of helpful information.

Boy oh boy has the fish bug bit me hard. Today alone I have bought three more tanks. One is a small square tank( 2.5G)for the betta. It leaks but I will repair it when I can. The hope is with square sides I can hang a filter for the poor guy. The other two are 20G one came with a fancy gold fish. I consider him a rescue because the guy had no filter or air pump. The water was absolutely horrible. But he is doing well. I did a 100% water change and put a used filter cartridge in a filter so hopefully the tank won’t cycle and the bacteria from half of my 55G can handle the load of a goldfish. The other is empty for waiting for my girlfriend to get home and decide where to put it.

Adjustments.jpg this is my fish room/ cove I love taking a nap in the leather chairs just listening to the hum of the air pump and the slight noise of the bubbles.

So I did something and maybe it was right maybe wrong ?*♂️. My rescued goldfish... I was educating myself on keeping goldfish as I had never tried. Turns out flakes are bad because they can ingest air and that’s not good for them. So I look and the only sinking food I have is algae wafers and “shrimp “ pellets. Well shoot what to do... So me in my pursuit of fish happiness decided to create a sinking food for the guy. So I grabbed a small glass bowl. First I put a big pinch of flakes, then added a few shrimp pellets, some dried brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, and half an algae water. I then proceeded to smash it all up into a powdery consistency. Then I added some declorinated water. Mixed it all up until it was a paste. Decide it was to wet added more shrimp pellet hopping it would add to sink ability. I spread this paste onto a piece of foil. Made some appropriate sized pieces and baked for five minutes at 200f. I let them cool and could not wait to see if they sank or floated. I was rewarded the first one sank. I was happy. Goldfish ignored it [emoji30]. No big deal maybe he will find and eat it later. Nope he sat with his head in a corner the whole time the lights were on. My best guess is this is because he is a little stressed from the move ,(both from old owner and to new spot in the room). So it’s time to turn out the lights (8:30pm local) and as I sit in my chair I hear him sucking up gravel and spitting out rocks as he has done since I’ve had him. I decided to put another piece in. Hopefully tomorrow they both will be gone. If not oh well I used not even 10c worth of other food to give it a shot.

I was awoken to a wonderful surprise this morning. The guppies had babies. Eight fry in the tank. Luckily I had a 20G on reserve. It had only been set up for two days but a dose of bio boost and in went the adult guppies so the fry would be safe. I will have to monitor the 20G closely for the ammonia spike I know is coming but I could not let the adults eat the babies. I went to my local pet store and bought a brine shrimp hatchery kit and tomorrow the fry will be eating fresh shrimp

Quick update. My rescued goldfish has been rescued again. My little brother has a seventy five gallon tank with four other goldfish and decided to trade me a twenty gallon tank for the goldfish. I wish the fish well and hopefully we won’t be sitting on the bottom looking sad and bored like when I had him.

So I made some changes. The old goldfish tank is now a twenty gallon planted tank housing the three adult guppies. My girlfriend did an amazing job and put in a neat little lava rock path and some drift wood pieces. The twenty gallon tank previously holding the adult guppies is now housing my beta and the rainbow shark I have named dorkfish because he hides everywhere but in the caves I put in the tanks. I.E behind/ under my sponge filter. The beta looks super happy to be out of the nano tank and dorkfish is well wedges under the sponge filter so we will see after work. IMG_0276.jpg

It is nice that there are lots of places for the Shark to hide, no matter which place he chooses.

Sharks need a large footprint to be happy as they grow. They cruise along their territory 55G is a minimum to about 75G will be the best option as he grows up. Maybe a bigger tank in the future?!

Just a little update.

The rainbow shark with the betta is actually a blue botia loach. I had posted a thread thinking it was a hybrid fish and another member shared a link and I believe it is indeed the blue botia and not a rainbow shark.

In my 55G my tiger barbs appear to be two males and two females. The dominant male is harassing the females so I thought about adding something to distract him. I purchased four cherry barbs. They are all doing well. He doesn’t care. He is still harassing the females. My next attempt to calm him will be with more tiger barbs. I am thinking about bringing the total amount of tiger barbs to ten.

While feeding the eight guppie fry I realized a lot of baby brine shrimp was going to waste. The five Amano shrimp were either not interested or not keeping up. So we added two Cory catfish to help clean up the leftover food.

My other guppies are loving the planted 20G. I do believe the pregnant one has miscarried. I witnessed two dead fry exiting her. I am hopeful her entire brood is not dead but I also want the best for her.

The Guppy momma will probably have many more viable fry in her future. Often newer mommas will have many fewer fry.

Another 1 or 2 Tiger Barb females might help. It spreads the attention over the group and gives the females some time to rest a little that way.

So glad you got the fish Botia Loach figured out, good call on being persistent in your query!!!

So I started a YouTube channel. It is titled rem and Liz featuring fish. All it has is videos of my tanks but we might do more with it. Not going to go crazy just one take iPhone type deals.

So I’m order to not have five active tanks in three rooms we bought a shelving unit from Lowe’s. It was around 85$. Rated for 800lbs per shelf. I don’t trust it. The metal frame looks thin. The shelves are particle board, they are not sealed, and are under sized. So I ran to Walmart and bought some bungees cords to help tighten the gaps and they are doing fine with a single 20G per shelf. If anything disastrous happens I will let you know lol.

New tank setup. As I said before I’m not happy with the shelving but it works for now.Top left on shelf is empty for now. Also added two leopard leaf fish to my 55G. IMG_0395.jpg

Great you are moving along quickly.

Do you happen to know if these Leaf Fish are wild caught (I don't know that much just enough to wonder what you are going to feed them)? If wild caught you may need to feed them live Brine shrimp, wingless fruit flies and similar to keep them eating well, and transition them over to other foods like frozen.

You should start build threads for your tanks!

Back
Top Bottom