New media for Wet/Dry... Should I? What with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, it is a very small area. What size is the main tank again? I didnt do a back ground check :D.

In all honesty though, I would probably ditch that wet/dry. It just offers no room for much more then water and a pump. If I were you I would get a cheap 10 or 20gal ( bigger the better ) and build yourself a sump/fuge. It will be better for the tank in the long run and I bet sooner than later you would end up doing it anyway....JMO of course.

You are running that little wet/dry on a 90g tank. I would definately upgrade to a much larger sump. I have a 72g tank and over 45g of sump in 3 different tanks. WOW! Dude if you have the time to do it and want to do it right I would so get some new sumps going under that tank!!! DIY all the way...AGA tanks are cheap when you get 10 or 20g tanks.

Wow. I really appreciate all the advice. I'll definitely be looking into a tank. Someone I trust at the LFS (not the owner... LOL) has once mentioned to me that he could get it all setup for under $60. Not sure what size tank. I'll take a look at the DIY section first though.

I definitely want to do it right. Guess I will invest in getting this setup better before I invest in getting a better protein skimmer. Seems like this would be a MUCH, MUCH better investment down the line.

I don't know about size, but it seems like this design should suit me well...

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

Where did you get all the LR rubble? your LFS?
Yup. I asked for the rubble from the bottom of their shipping boxes and curing tanks. I got well over 30lbs for free.

You can even make room for a refugium when building your sump. Having a refugium, w/ macro algaes growing in it, LR rubble for pods, etc., is a great way to export nutrients, and improve overall water quality. It can also provide extra pods as a natural food source for some fish.

Ok... so my LFS said they can sell me some rubble. 5 pounds will cost me $20. I'll try to go in there and break a deal. But I think it's a pretty good price.

Just one question... how many pounds should I get if I build that sump I posted before (the one in the DIY forum)?

MT79 said:
You can even make room for a refugium when building your sump. Having a refugium, w/ macro algaes growing in it, LR rubble for pods, etc., is a great way to export nutrients, and improve overall water quality. It can also provide extra pods as a natural food source for some fish.

Hmm... that sounds like a fun thing to do. :D

Not sure how to integrate it into this design though: http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

Do you have an example or something so I can get some ideas?

PS: I really can't stand that feature where I can't make a reply back to back. LOL. Oh well...

Ok... so the basic idea is this:

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/index.html

I'm not a huge handyman by any means. I really don't want to put a complete tank together... I really don't trust my craftsmanship LOL.

Basically... get a tank. Put in some baffles. Water comes in and pours over LR rubble. Water then flows into protein skimmer. Water flows into fuge. Water then goes to the return pump. We're good to go :)

I think you got it! The baffels aren't difficult to deal with either. A glass shop will cut the glass for you if you provide them with the measurements, (at a cost of course) a bit of silly-cone and you've got it!

I used acrylic for baffles, so I could cut them myself, and a 20 gal tank. I did my sump w/ KISS in mind - Keep It Simple Stupid lol. I have a simple baffle design in my sump/fuge. I used a bubble trap after the first chamber, and an over-under right before the return pump. The last "under" baffle is to prevent water from splashing directly into the return chamber and causing bubbles to get pumped into the main. It works very well for me. Here is a pic for some ideas- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12266&cat=500&ppuser=2014

MT, is your middle brace sliding sideways? I like that set up, BTW.

I had to remove it when I added the sump- when I built the stand, I did not plan for it. So it's just wedged in place to keep appearence up when the doors are closed. It's not weight bearing, and I like being able to remove it, although I can usually easily work around it. Thanks!

That's cool. I just wanted to make sure my eyes weren't fooling me.

I looked at the pic and the whole tank looks like it's leaniing and ready to collapse. I'm just a lousy photographer LOL.

Ok. So I went to my LFS and told them of my idea. They told me (seriously) "never replace the wet/dry. It's vital and gives your tank plenty of oxygen it needs." Instead, they suggested I get a tank... then pump water from the wet dry to the tank. The tank (20G) would have LR rubble, macro, etc...

Costs:

Lights: $59.99
Tank: $47.99
Pump: $49.99
Overflow box: $39.99
Tubing: $9.99

Is my LFS just giving me wrong advice? It kinda makes sense; however, I read through all of these forums and the majority agree that I should replace the entire wetdry. Ugh. Confusion.

EDIT!

Eh. I was looking at this in a 36G.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300096878120

Seems like that would give me the best of all worlds. Bioballs, refugium, LR rubble.

Anything else look good? http://stores.ebay.com/usa-refugium_sump-refugiums_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

If you want to spend the money then go for it! I would still get rid of the Bio-Balls...I don't care what the LFS says they aren't as good as the LR rubble...believe me Mother nature knew what she was doing...Man created those bio-balls remember? The second link you posted is basically what we were talking about...most of them are "kits" no tank included there..you have to buy the tank seperately!

Either way...I would not use the bioballs....

Ya. A 36 "kit" would run me about $200.

I would use LR rubble in place of the bioballs.

One question... I read someplace else that I should put the skimmer in the return area (after the fuge) as there won't be much for it to suck up, etc. Is that true? If so, where should I place the skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom