New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be cool. I'd like to see how some of the fry turn out if you can successfully breed them. I thought about cross breeding her with a swordtail, but I don't know yet.

She could be pregnant, she could not be. A lot if plattys are just "plump" ... However if she is pregnant you will see a gravid spot. Also she will start to look more square. Look at this video...
... That is when you know your fish is about to give birth. If you want to keep your babies alive I suggest getting a breeder box or have many hiding spots available. Also once the babies are born, if in a breeder box, remove the mother or else she could possibly eat her young.

That would be cool. I'd like to see how some of the fry turn out if you can successfully breed them. I thought about cross breeding her with a swordtail, but I don't know yet.

Well mine are all in the same tank so who knows what I can end up with lol

She could be pregnant, she could not be. A lot if plattys are just "plump" ... However if she is pregnant you will see a gravid spot. Also she will start to look more square. Look at this video...
... That is when you know your fish is about to give birth. If you want to keep your babies alive I suggest getting a breeder box or have many hiding spots available. Also once the babies are born, if in a breeder box, remove the mother or else she could possibly eat her young.

Thanks for sharing! The title of that video had me laughing lol. I'm pretty sure there's a gravid spot. Could you look at the pictures I posted on the first page of this thread and tell me what you think? I happen to have a breeding basket on hand that I used to seperate aggressive fish, so I'll keep a close eye on her and seperate her when she squares off. Assuming she's pregnant that is.. How long does it usually take platies to drop their fry?

Thanks for sharing! The title of that video had me laughing lol. I'm pretty sure there's a gravid spot. Could you look at the pictures I posted on the first page of this thread and tell me what you think? I happen to have a breeding basket on hand that I used to seperate aggressive fish, so I'll keep a close eye on her and seperate her when she squares off. Assuming she's pregnant that is.. How long does it usually take platies to drop their fry?

I can't tell looking by those pictures. And not so sure. But some livebearers can have babies every 4 weeks if I'm not mistaken

I can't tell looking by those pictures. And not so sure. But some livebearers can have babies every 4 weeks if I'm not mistaken

I figured.. Its pretty dark in there and her dark colors kind of hide the spot. I had to turn the brightness up all the way on my phone and zoom in a bit just to see it in the picture, but I can see it fine in person! haha I'll work on getting some better pics in a minute.

i have a similar story i just brought home 3 sunburst female platys from LFS today and 2 of them are preg. behind there stomach above gender idenifying fin : ) u can see a darker spot and sometimes eyes : ) i can see eyes inside 2 of mine, they also get preg tummies, but look for that spot its the best indicator, u can google platy preg eye spot and itll probably give u a picture to help u find it on yours

i have a similar story i just brought home 3 sunburst female platys from LFS today and 2 of them are preg. behind there stomach above gender idenifying fin : ) u can see a darker spot and sometimes eyes : ) i can see eyes inside 2 of mine, they also get preg tummies, but look for that spot its the best indicator, u can google platy preg eye spot and itll probably give u a picture to help u find it on yours

Not gonna be able to get any more pics tonight. She's way too fast for my phone.. There's definitely a dark spot though. Still not 100% sure if she's pregnant or if its just part of her coloring but I'm leaning more towards pregnant. It stands out too much (to me) to just be part of her coloring, but I could be wrong!

sorry im dumb :banghead: here we go heres the picture i ment to include in that last post

Attachments

• eye spot.jpg
    eye spot.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 946
This is an earlier sign, as it progresses its possible to see eyes

Yes I know, thanks. As stated before, due to my fish's coloring, I'm just not 100% sure if its actually a gravid spot or just part of her coloring..

heres another good pic of a later in the stage preg platy belly, u can see eyes on this one, this is were my sunburst platys are at

Attachments

• preg01.jpg
    preg01.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 97
heres another good pic of a later in the stage preg platy belly, u can see eyes on this one, this is were my sunburst platys are at

Thats pretty cool, but I don't think shes that far yet. Ill keep an eye on her though!

good luck with yours : ) im sure ill start a thread in the "getting started" forum as soon as my ladys pop so if your interested in what comes next with platy babies check it out

good luck with yours : ) im sure ill start a thread in the "getting started" forum as soon as my ladys pop so if your interested in what comes next with platy babies check it out

You too! And haha I'll probably do the same thing. Or just keep updating this one. But ill be sure to check it out if and when I see yours.

Back
Top Bottom