New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u know what, the mickey mouse platy is a little bigger than the regular platy, and your fish is a little bigger, does she have the spots on her tail as well? it could just be a big regular platy, just thinking out loud

Yea her fin looks like a reg. platy, so is it weird that she has the coloring of a topsail? I'm kinda glad she doesn't have the bigger dorsal fin though. Haha it looks kinda funky to me.. As for spots, I dont see any.. She pretty much has a plain red tail. When I got her, the lady at the lfs was saying how she was kind of big for a platy but she thought it might've just been because she's been there longer than any of the others. Or like you said.. She's just a big platy.

Yea her fin looks like a reg. platy, so is it weird that she has the coloring of a topsail? I'm kinda glad she doesn't have the bigger dorsal fin though. Haha it looks kinda funky to me.. As for spots, I dont see any.. She pretty much has a plain red tail. When I got her, the lady at the lfs was saying how she was kind of big for a platy but she thought it might've just been because she's been there longer than any of the others. Or like you said.. She's just a big platy.

Lol indeed, i agree that its a reg platys/topsail however that means if u want to do your best to keep that coloring you'll have to get a topsail male but dont forget u need to keep a 1:3 ratio or males and females, i have a 2:4 ratio and im not having any aggression issues but the rule of thumb is 1:3

Lol indeed, i agree that its a reg platys/topsail however that means if u want to do your best to keep that coloring you'll have to get a topsail male but dont forget u need to keep a 1:3 ratio or males and females, i have a 2:4 ratio and im not having any aggression issues but the rule of thumb is 1:3

I though the ratio was 1:2 male:female
I did a lot research on them n that is was I found

I though the ratio was 1:2 male:female
I did a lot research on them n that is was I found

Right on, ive read both too and im doing a 1:2(2:4) ratio and its fine id just say if u do a 1:2 ratio and u notice any aggression between males just add 2 more females : )

Right on, ive read both too and im doing a 1:2(2:4) ratio and its fine id just say if u do a 1:2 ratio and u notice any aggression between males just add 2 more females : )

Ya mine all get along good I have 2 swords in with them

Alright cool. If I cant find a male that looks exactly like her Ill look more into topsails. Also, Say I wanted to try to bring out more of one color in future spawns. Could I find a male with more of of that color or even a male with only that color and selectively breed them so that the future spawns will have more of that color? Say I wanted to bring out more red, Id get a red male platy and breed it with my female. Or even a yellow male. Or green if they have them lol.

Edit: I've too read about the 1:2 male female ratio, but 1:3 is probably best for people who wanna play it safe. I'm still not even sure if I want to have males and females together when I get more. Id like to try to selectively breed them and influence certain colors if can.

also platys have kind of a high bio load so keep that in mind to

Already am :) She's definitely got more of a bio load then the betta I had in the tank before her. I've seen her take some big dumps haha thanks though!

Haha cool. That's what I figured, but I wasn't 100%. I'm going to get a sponge filter today to put in the fry tank. Ill keep in the DT for now though so that once she starts popping them out I can setup the grow out tank and not have to worry about cycling.

She actually reminds me of a swordtail cross and I will try to get a pic of mine but like you mine are not intrested in holding still for the camera!

She actually reminds me of a swordtail cross and I will try to get a pic of mine but like you mine are not intrested in holding still for the camera!

Swordtail? Hmm. I guess its possible. And yea, please share some pics! That is if you can even get any haha :)

These are the best I can get she is stuborn!!!! I am also adding a pic of the male. All 3 of my swords are diving up and down at like record speed tonight! but in they have strips across their sides that in the right light looks blue along with the black and gold strips. She looks like an orange blob in most of the pictures.

Also the platys don't seem to be as busy as the swords. But they all like the diving up and down! Lord help me I got the camera out and they started darting from side to side. Little boogers!

These are the best I can get she is stuborn!!!! I am also adding a pic of the male. All 3 of my swords are diving up and down at like record speed tonight! but in they have strips across their sides that in the right light looks blue along with the black and gold strips. She looks like an orange blob in most of the pictures.
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_222042_zpsd2a165cf.jpg.html
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_221949_zpsc1e7f168.jpg.html
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_221940_zps6b319273.jpg.html
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/flitabout/media/20130823_221921_zps4b018699.jpg.html

Nice platies! I still think mines a topsail hybrid though. The colors are almost identical.

Also the platys don't seem to be as busy as the swords. But they all like the diving up and down! Lord help me I got the camera out and they started darting from side to side. Little boogers!

Haha they are pretty active little fish! I had to take almost a hundred pics just to get a decent one.

Swordtail? Hmm. I guess its possible. And yea, please share some pics! That is if you can even get any haha :)

hrm Does have a little bit of the sword tails body shape, (longer and thinner than platy) topsail/swordtail hybrid is a good good possibility

Back
Top Bottom