New Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I went out and brought a pleco today, however I don't think it is what it was sold to me as. I was looking to get a bristlenose albino however the lady at the store lost track of it and couldn't find it within the tank. So she said she had another bristlenose but it wasn't an albino and I don't think its a bristlenose. Its black with small white dots upon his body and his fins. It doesn't have any signs of being a bristlenose for its nose is smooth.

It can be all that old because it is only less then 2 inches long at the moment. Once he gets settle in, I'll get some pics. But could someone help me out with what he could be? Thanks.

Doesn't look like a common though. I never seen one that was black with small white spots before. From the commons I had and seen, they tend to be a dark brown with black spots.

Oh and on it's mouth, there are a top and bottom set of two black marks.

talen said:
Doesn't look like a common though. I never seen one that was black with small white spots before. From the commons I had and seen, they tend to be a dark brown with black spots.

Oh and on it's mouth, there are a top and bottom set of two black marks.

Sounds like an oto but don't hold me to that can't tell for sure without pics

Looked up both and from what I can tell, he kind of looks like a baby peppermint. He really doesn't look like a bristlenose to me and plus his nose is very smooth, no signs of bristles at all.

Probably is a bristle nose- I'm fairly certain that it's only males that develop bristles, so yours could be a female bristle. Does it have a white band around the very tip of its tail?

Females get bristles too but only round thier mouth where males get them on thier face as well

Back
Top Bottom