New South American Tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hell yeah! i like it, whats the cost on one of these shipped..?

That's a Thorichthys sp. " Gold Mixteco" you could grow out 4-6 in a 40 gallon then keep a single pair possibly a trio so if one female wont spawn the other will. Otherwise it's likely the male will kill the female, it's happened to me twice now.

Here's one of my males
img_2558740_0_b2e3a8b4fc1c0df2100d8e0526331af5.jpg

img_2558740_1_bccd6d2bdde208c5c36025d056a4e7ce.jpg

Was just about to say "where's mogurako when you need him?" Lol saw mixteco and instantly thought of tours

That's a Thorichthys sp. " Gold Mixteco" you could grow out 4-6 in a 40 gallon then keep a single pair possibly a trio so if one female wont spawn the other will. Otherwise it's likely the male will kill the female, it's happened to me twice now.

Here's one of my males

Finding one is the hard part

Many of the thorichthys species are nice looking: Meeki, aureum, Elliott/maculpinnis, sp. blue/gold mixteco, passiones, etc and some are more readily available

I went to every LFS/Petsmart/Petco within 30 miles of me, and only one had firemouths, let alone any of the other thoricthys.

They all had convicts though.

You can do a salvini im just saying they are aggressive. It would be ok in a 29 for a while until you upgrade to the 40b. They are very colorful and awesome.

ok its between the salvini, rainbow, and firemouth, anyone have pics of their own..?

I hate paying shipping that's more than the fish I want

i feel you, $9 fish and $35 to ship lol

ok its between the salvini, rainbow, and firemouth, anyone have pics of their own..?

i feel you, $9 fish and $35 to ship lol

Yeah that was a large deciding factor in my decision to go local for fish, and online for supplies/equipment.

This is my firemouth. He's been housed with a female convict, bristlenose pleco, festivum, and an angelfish in the starting 20g long tank. I got him when he was a baby:

CQzxE3w.jpg

Seven months later on a NLS+frozen bloodworms/mysis shrimp diet, here he is:

1C92dPS.jpg

As I said before, he now lives alone in a 29g with a school of tetras. His "trailers" are really starting to develop and he is putting on some size. I can't wait until he reaches most of his color/size in the coming months.

thats a fine fish, and i think the shipping is gonna have a huge effect on what i decide to get sadly :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate paying shipping that's more than the fish I want

I've never paid over $15 to have my fished shipped to me. If you want rare and hard to find fish you're going to have to suck it up and pay shipping. If you don't want to then your SOL and don't want the fish that bad.

Heck I have even driven 6+ hours round trip to get fish on multiple occasions. Which cost easily 2-3 times what you would pay on shipping.

So your saying the 3 I listed are gonna be special order fish?

Fire mouths and salvini are usually at petco near me. I'm sure they'd order for you too to save shipping. They'd probably order nearly anything as long as their supplier has it. Worth researching

Fire mouths and salvini are usually at petco near me. I'm sure they'd order for you too to save shipping. They'd probably order nearly anything as long as their supplier has it. Worth researching

****, then I needa make a choice then, salvini, or fm..?

Back
Top Bottom