New tank filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not a huge fan of the glo fish. My girls picked them out and they are definitely my least favorite in the tank. I guess that could change if we get a few more and they swim together. I will have to see whAt our local pet store has after I get my new tank cycled. It is a pretty small locally owned store, but they carry quite a few different options.

You could always re-home a few fish or keep some in the 10 gallon like the platys. Make some space and you could have a small school of neon tetras. Oh, and i really recommend you re-home your pleco. They get pretty huge and will outgrow a 20 gallon pretty fast.

Our pleco is still tiny and I have a plan to regime him if he outgrows our tank. My new tank should arrive tomorrow!! We are getting excited!! Going to go but some plants for it and get the cycle started ASAP!

I decided to go with sand this time. I have no experience sand but I'm going to give it a try.

Well your in luck! I am expirence with sand, and know some tricks that will help you.

Don't buy sand from a pet store, its usually expensive, go to a pool store , and ask for pool filter sand. (For the stores around me the pet store sand is like $20 for a 20 lbs bag, but the pool filter sand (pfs) was $20 for a 50 lbs bag)

When you get it put about 1/4 of the bag into a bucket, and run water through it, then dump the water, and repeat untill the water is clear. Then you can add the sand to your tank and all the small particles of sand that would have made the water SUPER cloudy have been rinsed out!

I got my sand at Home Depot play sand rinsed well a few times looks great only too a few hours to settle only paid 3$ and it filled my 20 and 29 gal

I got caribsea live sand wasn't experienced with it and didn't know about pool filter sand but I love the sand I chose anyways

Well dang! I ordered 20 pounds from amazon yesterday. I did get it on sale though. $15 I think it was. Next time I will know! And I got free shipping since I spent however much. I ordered my master test kit too. Would be awesome if it would all get here tomorrow so I can get things going and I could go buy some plants. Will plants help with cycling? I didn't know if they would make the cycle quicker or not

Well dang! I ordered 20 pounds from amazon yesterday. I did get it on sale though. $15 I think it was. Next time I will know! And I got free shipping since I spent however much. I ordered my master test kit too. Would be awesome if it would all get here tomorrow so I can get things going and I could go buy some plants. Will plants help with cycling? I didn't know if they would make the cycle quicker or not

Which kind lol

It's from petco. Black aquarium sand is the description. I wasn't sure which kind so I went for the one with reviews. Lol

Ooo ok either wayyou won't be disappointed sand is defiantly the way to go

My tank finally came in!! We decided to get some water in it and start the filter to make sure everything works. You can see the air bubbles where we poured the water in each time. I'm amazed at how clear the acrylic is! And it was so lightweight.

When I add the sand should I empty the water or will it settle? It won't be here for a few more days and I wanted to start my fish less cycle using bacteria from our old tank

Attachments

• image-549007266.jpg
    image-549007266.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 56
  • image-2316355116.jpg
    image-2316355116.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 43
My tank finally came in!! We decided to get some water in it and start the filter to make sure everything works. You can see the air bubbles where we poured the water in each time. I'm amazed at how clear the acrylic is! And it was so lightweight.

When I add the sand should I empty the water or will it settle? It won't be here for a few more days and I wanted to start my fish less cycle using bacteria from our old tank

Everyone has a different way I left mine about half way with water turn your filter off so the sand doesn't mess up the impeller and it will settle in time just make sure you wash the sand really good

Back
Top Bottom