New to SW - Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZfishman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First time poster, long time reader!

I have a new 55g FOWLER setup and after adding the first fish I have a few questions about my overall stocking plan and the order I should add them.

One questions first: I have seen in other posts that some people have a Regal Blue Tang and a Yellow Tang together in a 55g. I thought the general rule was one tang per tank. Is this correct? Do you recommend against it? If possible I would love to have both of those fish.

Tank:
55g long
2 powerheads
50 lbs LR
1-2" LS Substrate
Protein Skimmer
Trickle filter w/sponge and carbon insert

Current Stocking List:
2 emerald crabs
4 nassarius snails
1 hermit crab (small) - unknown, came with LR
1 cleaner shrimp (big)
1 Clown Fish

Hopefull Additions:
1 Flame Angel
1 Regal Blue Tang
1 Yellow Tang (if possible to keep with regal tang)
1 gobie/blenny - best type to sift the sand. recommendations?

If the two tangs can't go together what recommendations to you have to get some "yellow" in the tank. I looked at a yellow clown goby, are they good sand sifters? And would the cleaner shrimp bother him because he is so small?

Lastly, what order would you add the list. Ive read to add the Angel last. Thank you for any answers, recommendations and help about my tank setup or fish selection. This site has been a great reference in making the move from planted freshwater to saltwater!!

Yellow Clown Goby is about 2 inches at its biggest size and isn't really known for being in substrate at all. If you want a Goby that will dig you may want to go for a Yellow Watchmen Goby but it isn't really a sand sifter.

I would never have more than one tang in a 55 gallon tank. To be honest I would only recommend either a yellow eyed Kole tang or a yellow tang for a 55. Tangs need plenty of swimming room so the ultimate goal is a 6 foot tank IMO.

I agree there are few tangs that i would recommend for a 55.. Even the yellow tang can easily outgrow the 55. The Regal tang is def too big i wouldnt unless you had at least a 100+ gallon. Other than that good list

I agree with the last couple of posts. I don't think either tang would be real happy in a tank that size. Look here at butterfly fish. Many of them have yellow and will fit in your tank.

As for the goby check out this thread that has a few good sand sifter suggestions.
And i will add this goby to the list as well. Interesting to watch and a good sifter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom