newbie betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsog2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I just bought a 2.5 gallon tank which includes a divider and a filter and a light. I added some gravel, live plants, and water (with dechlorinator), and now I'm waiting a few days before actually buying the fish. Would it be ok to buy two male bettas for this? I'm worried that the habitat might be too small, and they might see each other too much with the small tank and get stressed. Plus I think the food might get sucked into the side of the tank with the filter (through the divider). If I only get one betta, would there be another fish that would go well with a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank? Or would I just be better off getting only one betta? I want my fish to be happy and healthy.
Thanks for any help!

Also, how fast should I have the filter motor? I have heard from some people that bettas do not like a current.

If you have a small tank with a divider i would say it would be better to buy 1 male betta and put a couple of females on the other side so that he can see them. The flow for a betta tank should be very slow and with no movement on the surfice. Betta's build bubble nest so if there is to much water movement it breaks up the nest. Also add some floating plant for him to build his nest to. Once he has built his nest introduce one of the females. It is always good to have a couple of females because betta's can be quite fussy about there women and if he rejects the first you always have a second one to try. Siamese fighting fish or betta are know for there agression with other males, so don't put two males in the same tank as they will fight to the death. If your betta,s spawn then once the eggs are in the nest remove the female back to the other side because the male looks after the eggs and he will beat her up if she isn't removed.
I hope this is of some help.

But will the fish have enough space in half of a 2.5 gallon tank? I'm not really interested in spawning. Are there other fish that will go well with a betta? There's no room really for more than one other fish. Otherwise I'll just buy one betta.

Really the smaller fish which theoretically would fit in a tank that size are schooling fish. So you would need around 5-6 and that would overload the tank. I know of some people who keep dwarf african frogs with them (I wish I knew the exact name; theres 2 kinds and one stays teeny tiny, the other gets relatively larger and will eat your fish...maybe someone else can chime in here).

A single male betta would do fine in a 2.5 gallon tank. Its really a nice amount of room for one without the tank being too big. You may want to get a small mirror and put it up near the tank once in a while (not all the time). He'll think its another betta and will flair nicely for you, so you get to see those lovely fins :)

In my experience guppies and Bettas, especially male bettas do not mix well.

Jen :multi:

I have two male bettas, one is in a 2.5 gal tank and the other is in a 2 gal tank. I couldn't see putting them in any thing less than 2 gal. They seem very happy and when I hang their mirrors on the tank for a few minutes, they flare beautifully and they really swim around a lot. They seem to enjoy the extra room. I even have a male guppy in his own 2.5 gal tank. I have them in seperate areas of the living room for conversation pieces. Each is decorated differently for their own individuality.

Ok, thanks everybody! I think I'm going to go with just a single male betta. His home looks pretty nice, I hope he likes it!

Back
Top Bottom