Newbie question on filtration and other stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bog wood has arrived :)

Attachments

• image-3790092924.jpg
    image-3790092924.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image-4156186048.jpg
    image-4156186048.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 49
Hello, is there any other methods of water changing other than by, syphon and buckets?

I was thinking if there was some kind of small electric surface pump, or a good hand pump?

Cheers

Python/aqueon/other brand type of water changer is by far the easiest & quickest method for emptying & refilling a tank.

I was looking to find something not gravity based.

Do some searching on here- I know there has been threads about this posted before where people use pumps (manual or electric) to empty a tanks. I actually have used a large (25g) shop-vac before when emptying a tank but the regular water changer suffices for daily use.

A python will work faster if you have the water flowing. It will create a greater suction. The only thing is, it waste a lot of water.

Might get 1200/1800 power head and use it for water changes, I'm thinking of getting a mains powered gravel cleaner as well. It looks like a standard syphon but has hob part to it that filters and puts the water back?

I have ordered none return valves for my external pump, anyone know how fast back syphoning happens? My thinking was to just add them fast one at a time?

I have bog wood soaking for five days now and there is no tannins coming out?

I am surprised but its not unusual. Have you been using hot water to soak? You can also check the ph of your soaking water to see if its dropped at all (compared to your tank water)- if not, then you should be good. :)

Yes done a hot water daily change, I will test the ph and then use it, just wanted to know if it was common. I asked the chap I got it from and he assured me it wasn't pre-soaked.

Caring for java fern? If you have part dark areas on the plant, do you trim that part of the leaf or cut away the whole leaf?

Is it dead leaves? I would trim anything thats definitely dead otherwise it will just contribute to ammonia in your tank & make a mess.

Not the whole leaf, just a small part. At a guess 5% of the whole.

Sounds good to me,

I have just installed check valves and there has been a reduction in airflow, not massive but I can see it. Have I bought dodgy valves or is this normal?

Still stuck with two gold fish, anyone want to take them?

Commons (feeders)? Google pond stores in your area & see if they will take them or they may a customer who will. Another option is to list them on craigslist for $1 to anyone with a good pond home. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom