Newbie stocking advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oliver252

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I'm new to fish keeping and am planning on getting a 55 gallon tank and I'm trying to decide how to stock it. I want a community tank, and I absolutely love catfish so they're a must-have for me, so this is what I'm currently thinking about:

1 porthole catfish and some corydoras on the bottom, some rummynose tetras to fill in the upper level and maybe a couple of angelfish?

I really appreciate any advice or suggestions as I want to make sure I'm doing this properly and I can have a happy aquarium :)

everything you’ve said sounds great, however porthole catfish do better in groups as they are very sociable fish, perhaps get 4 or 5? :)

everything you’ve said sounds great, however porthole catfish do better in groups as they are very sociable fish, perhaps get 4 or 5? :)
Would the bioload be too high with that many in a 55 gallon?

Would the bioload be too high with that many in a 55 gallon?

Nope. That should be spot on! :) Probably will even have some extra room for a few other fish. With the angels keep in mind a solo fish, a bonded pair, or a large group of 5+ fish is usually the way to go to minimize aggression. Every time I raise a group of less than five I usually end up with a dominant pair that forms and beats the heck out of the others. Just something to think about. (y)

Back
Top Bottom