Newly acquired shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
So, I decided I'll go back doing a shrimp colony. I have 3 different variety that I found in my LFS. I have always done ghost and red cherry before. But these ones that I got are different. The labels were: red crystal shrimp, yellow and red cherry. I'm positive on the red cherry. But I want to make sure the other two are correct. Please advice! 1488169807612.jpg1488169814494.jpg1488169820452.jpg1488169826362.jpg

The labels are correct.
The RCS and yellow may interbreed. Usually red + yellow = orange, but not in this case. The result would be probably reddish or brownish.

The labels are correct.
The RCS and yellow may interbreed. Usually red + yellow = orange, but not in this case. The result would be probably reddish or brownish.
Oh thank you for confirming. If the rcs and yellow will interbreed, is that a bad thing? And the red crystal shrimp they gave me consist of the second from the last picture and the ones that have reddish head. I wasn't sure if the one with the reddish head will eventually have the same coloration and stripes as the one in the bottom pic?

Imo I would keep them separate. Over time you would lose the unique gentics found in each individual as the offspring would all end up becoming just a plain brown. Which isn't really a big deal but it was probably their unique patterns and colouring that attracted you to them in the first place.

Imo I would keep them separate. Over time you would lose the unique gentics found in each individual as the offspring would all end up becoming just a plain brown. Which isn't really a big deal but it was probably their unique patterns and colouring that attracted you to them in the first place.
Yes, I decided I would separate them. Waiting on my other tank to cycle and I'll transfer them..been reading a lot about them too. Thank you.

Oh thank you for confirming. If the rcs and yellow will interbreed, is that a bad thing? And the red crystal shrimp they gave me consist of the second from the last picture and the ones that have reddish head. I wasn't sure if the one with the reddish head will eventually have the same coloration and stripes as the one in the bottom pic?

It's not a 'bad thing' necessarily, as the offspring shouldn't suffer any sort of crazy effects... they're just probably going to lose the line-bred color as fresh2o said above. All of the different colored neocaridina shrimp are usually the same species, it's just selective breeding that that gives them the different colors!

It's not a 'bad thing' necessarily, as the offspring shouldn't suffer any sort of crazy effects... they're just probably going to lose the line-bred color as fresh2o said above. All of the different colored neocaridina shrimp are usually the same species, it's just selective breeding that that gives them the different colors!
Thank you. Since the last post, I separated the yellow ones. So I just have the cherry and crystal shrimp in here. I do have the clear cherry in here as well but when I got them there were some tint of blue on them. Do you think they mislabeled them? Here's a picture. 1489112880735.jpg

Back
Top Bottom