Off the breeding cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsFreshwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have recently got a mating pair of one of my friends. She has had them for at least 1 year and they were on a cycle of breeding about once a week maybe. However since I have got them and put them in my tank they have seemed to stop their regular breeding cycle. I was wondering because I live in quite a hot country and my temperature is higher than average would this affect their breeding cycle. And also how I could encourage them to return to their cycle. Thank you...

Maybe their just getting used to the tank, or the parameters aren't the same as they were in the last tank.

Maybe their just getting used to the tank, or the parameters aren't the same as they were in the last tank.

+1
Fish can live in a variety of water conditions but won't always breed in just any water conditions. Contact your friend who gave them to you and get their PH, Hardness and Temp readings and do what you can to match them. Make sure that your tank is fully cycled and not showing any signs of recycling from the new addition. Once the fish get adjusted to their new surroundings and you match what they liked (to spawn in) in their old home, a partial water change once a week should spark them into breeding again.

Hope this helps (y)

It's exactly the same tank. The ph was bad so I settled it. Conditions are perfectly fine.

It's exactly the same tank. The ph was bad so I settled it. Conditions are perfectly fine.

Then you'll just have to wait for them to get settled in their new surroundings. Sometimes, it's silly stuff like a change in feeding times or a lack of privacy that prevents the fish from being comfortable enough to breed. I'd just give it a little while and see what happens.

Good luck (y)

Well there's 3 angels and one of them is a male that keeps attacking the male in a mating pair

Well there's 3 angels and one of them is a male that keeps attacking the male in a mating pair

Aha, the plot thickens!!!:lol:
If you are trying to breed these fish, it would be better if they were alone in their tank. Obviously, your other male is the more dominant male and won't allow the other to breed. This will not change with time. If you just want them for show, make sure that the tank is big enough that the smaller male can get away from the aggressor or else you will need to move him to another tank for his own safety.

Anything else you haven't mentioned?? ;):brows::D

Back
Top Bottom