Oily Residue on top off water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark.farrell1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All

I am a recently new purchaser of a salt water tank setup, 180 L, Live Rock and one awsome little snowflake eel. i have noticed a oily residue on top of the water, he has been in there for 3 days now. I bought a Lion fish yesterday and he sadly didn't make it through the night i came home this morning and he was floating on the bottom of the tank dead. I read some where about something to do with the eel leaving a residue of oil and it affecting other fish in the water. Can any one help me with this issue, is it common ? and what can i do in the future to stop/control this problem. You don't have to reply or just send me the link to the answer somewhere.

Thanks Guys.

Mark

no i filled it from from the ocean accross the road from the beach, put the required drops of that stuff in, got the carbonet hardness right, than waited 2 weeks for the bacteria and the live rock to settle.

It is probably your water source, the shore line acts like a giant skimmer and cleans the water. Your tank maybe cycled but unless you have kept track of the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates there is no way of saying for sure.

This might not be it but I had an oily sheen a while back in my tank and all i did to get rid of it was to tilt one of my power heads toward the surface to agitate it a little better so noth'n can really settle and it took care of that prob. about the eel secrete'n a harmful oil I'm not sure. Hope everything works out though.

A skimmer will help, but in the future, never use ocean water in your tank, there could be all kinds of pests in it. As was mentioned above, waves are essentially a natural protein skimmer.

Pests and chemicals, even if you're keeping fish from the same region most likely they're tank raised and not caught in the wild

Back
Top Bottom