Old Growth Dying, New Growth Thriving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redhead7134

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Plants Growing Fast But Not Thriving

Hello, I'm having an issue with the plants in my tank. I have both anachris and a temple plant in my tank and they both seem to be having the same issue. They are growing well and fast, but everything besides the new growth seems to be dying. I have the Current USA LED Plus lighting my tank. I also have just standard gravel substrate. It is an established 55 gallon tank. I will be posting pictures shortly.

img_3362573_0_28cf0f96ae69ade39f3067bf077c0b3a.jpg

img_3362573_1_e9026743df01e6bb5ae912e30605a97b.jpg

img_3362573_2_4241a72d6da9e38e8dc85e5bfb13ce35.jpg

What fertilizers are you using? Are you adding any carbon additives or injecting CO2?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its a low tech setup. The only thing I'm using right now is aquion plant food. I've ordered some flourish excel.

Sent from my XT1097 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If these plants are new (few weeks or so), it could be the case where the new growth has adjusted to the tank and is doing well. And the older growth is decaying because, in some instances, the plant's resources are directed to the new growth.
The Anacharis may melt with the addition of Excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If these plants are new (few weeks or so), it could be the case where the new growth has adjusted to the tank and is doing well. And the older growth is decaying because, in some instances, the plant's resources are directed to the new growth.
The Anacharis may melt with the addition of Excel.

To add to this, some aquatic plants, despite being aquatic, are actually grown emersed and when placed in an aquarium it triggers the transformation fresh mentions above.

Emersed to submerged growth is definitely a good thought.

I would also heavy consider a nutrient issue. Plants have the ability to cannibalize old nutrients to make new growth, but only some nutrients, namely all your macronutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium) plus some micronutrients. This process can be very destructive to older growth, causing a variety off holes and/or discolorations in old leaves but leaving newer growth looking 'ok'.

Are you dosing any fertilizers with macronutrients (NPK)? You look like you have a fairly substantial stock, so this may or may not be the cause, but you almost certainly need some form of additional fertilization given those plants and that amount of lighting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom