Once everything is set, this hobby gets a little boring...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I used to post all the time on here, but I've found recently that keeping fish has lost a lot of enjoyment. Once I got my tank all set up exactly like I wanted it, I kind of lost interest. I think a big part of it is that community fish are kind of boring; I've found for the most part that they are tiny, nameless, and predictable.

I'm trying to think of a way to innject some life back into the hobby I once loved so much. I think I enjoyed my tanks the most when I had only a few predatory fish rather than the throngs of community fish. So, to my question:

For a 55g, what's a good 3-5 fish set-up that will be interesting to watch? They don't have to be predators, just unique cool fish. I'm not too interested in Ciclids because when I used to have them they messed with my decor way too much. Unless there is a breed that doesn't do that, then I would consider it...

I think.. this is just a thought here.. that if you traded out a few of your community fish for some dwarf cichlids or angel fish you'll get some personality into your tank.. JMHO though.. HTH

*edit*dwarf cichlids and angelfish are non digging/tearing up the tank cichlids*edit*

i think angels would be good for you or maybe some clown loaches, inother words add some fish with personality to your community

There are certainly several species that are interesting and don't mess with the decor. Angelfish are not only beautiful fish but they also have great personality. You could get a couple of pairs in a tank that size if you remove some of your current fish. You would definitely have to trade in your smaller tetras because angelfish look at them as a food source and not tankmates ("fish are food, not friends").

As mentioned above, some dwarf cichlids would certainly be interesting. You could easily get 5 or more apistogrammas or perhaps some L. curviceps. With the right decorations and water conditions they would probably even breed which brings your fishkeeping experience to a whole different level.

I don't know if your 55 gallon tank is planted or not. I've found that planted tanks are never "done" and can always be redecorated with different plant species that change in shape, size and color. Just yesterday I removed a ton of grown plants from my 30 gallon tank and sold them back to my LFS because I wanted more swimming space for my angelfish. I was able to use the credit from my plants to buy a bag of sand, some fertilizers and some more plants for my other tanks :D

I'm sure that more people will have other suggestions, but I just want to add that all of my tanks are planted and I have cichlids of various sizes in most of them. They keep me busy every week in rearranging plants and rocks, pruning and transplanting, etc. While I occasionally reach the point where a tank is temporarily stable for a month or two, soon new plants or fish become available which cause me to make changes of varying degrees once again. It is anything but boring at this point.

Do you have the money/interests to perhaps try saltwater? It's definitley a change and would keep your interest. So many cool things you can do with it. Just a thought. :wink:

Move to SW - you won't get tired. I've had the tank set up for 14 months now and I still find new life.

and the amount of money and time you'll spend will keep you from losing interest...

Once I got my tank all set up exactly like I wanted it, I kind of lost interest. I think a big part of it is that community fish are kind of boring; I've found for the most part that they are tiny, nameless, and predictable.
I felt almost the same way first. Not that I lost interest, but I become dissatisfied with what I have. I was trying to find different fish for my community tank, but the most common fish, such as Gouramis, Rams, etc., appear to be the most beautiful. Since I've got these fish from very beginning, I didn't see the way to improve my selection. I'm not interested in rare fish if it is plain looking. I'm interested in fish that is appeasing to my eye.
Recently I saw several tanks with adult Peacocks in one of my LFSs and decided that this might be my way to go. I don't know whether whey will uproot plants, but they are gorgeous that I would mind even if I had a planted tank. Now I'm doing a research about other fish that can be kept with Peacocks and if I'm satisfied with results, I will be busy for next several months preparing for transition (change of water parameters, decor, substrata, plus finding a new home for my current fish, some of which I will miss). If you decide later to move to Peacock, let me know and I will share results of my research.

Devilishturtles suggests to try saltwater, which might be a good idea also.

Once I got my tank all set up exactly like I wanted it, I kind of lost interest.

Maybe that's why people get MTS. You set up a tank. Then you're satisfied with your work and look for another project because you reached that goal and need another one to stay interested.

Beware!

I'd go for another tank (what will you do with the fish you have?) with a theme. Like reproducing a specific habitat like the Amazone river or an African lake. I've seen a book that showcased aquariums reproducing rivers or lakes from all over the world. It even explained how the tank was set up. The tanks were amazing. And surely the kind of project to keep you buzy for quite a while.

IMO you get out of it what you put into it. If you languish and dont put much into it than in response you wont get much out of it.

If the 'simple' community setup has got you in a rut think about a species tank or move into a planted enviorment.

I liked the suggestion to simply change out some of the fish. Looking at the list of tank inhabitants it seems something like a few Gouramis or maybe a troop of Loaches would spice things up without displacing everyone in the Tank.

I'm surprised the Boesemani are not more "interesting". Do you have any females in your Group? A mixed group of Rainbows can be very active and interesting.

I have to agree with the original post to some extent.

The most fun time of the aquarium experience is the beginning.
Stocking the tank, choosing fish, decorating the tank, the suspense in cycling.

But once you become an expert, everything becomes a little routine and too easy.

This is why (as someone suggested), to delve into something more complicated and more challenging.
Example: Saltwater tanks.

Think of aquarium fish keeping as a sport or game.
Keep advancing to the next stage or more difficult level.

In addition, visiting messageboards/forums also keeps my interest in this hobby.
Learning about new fish, reading other aquarists experience with different fish (can make you inspired), reading discussion about specific topics (learn something new everyday).

Another suggestion to appease your boredom, would be breeding.
Try breeding your fish - another challenge to this hobby perhaps

Also If you get bored, I suggest finding a fish that interests you and "collect it"
I myself like collecting bubble-eye goldfish. Finding different colours (the hunt is the fun part)

I agree with the loach suggestions. I would have been bored with my community setup long ago if not for my three clown loaches. They're so curious, each has (sort of) its own personality and favorite spots and routes, and it's fun to watch their little battles for food or dominance. Because they go in and through everything it gives me a great sense of watching a miniature world, almost like a dollhouse.

I also enjoy having a gold mystery snail and some shrimp in there -- it seems like they add to the variety a bit.

But once you become an expert, everything becomes a little routine and too easy.

I have to disagree only because I dont feel anyone can truly classify themselves as experts.

I maybe haven't been in this hobby long enough to feel bored at all. Or maybe it is the MTS I suffer from. If you want something to keep interest alive, I'd definately get another tank, and I've heard SW will keep you busy, both from the research you have to do and the tanks themselves. Either that or get another tank and as suggested already get some angel fish.

Really, I can't see how one gets bored in this hobby...I have been at it for over three decades, and my interest is, if anything, waxing, not waning.

I guess it is all in an individual perspective. I certainly can't see myself getting bored anytime soon for sure, and most aquarist's I know have been at it a long time. My uncle has been keeping fish for 45 years. The newer aquarist's I know and very enthusiastic and excited about their new hobby. I have been at this just over a year and keep wanting more and more tanks. My obsession gets worse. :lol:

How about a shark tank, like a tank with 6 red tail sharks, or 6 rainbow sharks? And then maybe a couple khuli loaches and an algae eater.

I can sit and watch zebra danios or cardinals all day.

To me, it's the ability to look into the life of a fish, which is interesting.

dave

Thanks for all the useful fish setups. I never really thought about angels, but they seem like an interesting fish. Will they take flake food?

Back
Top Bottom