Operation: Pet store stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if you don't mind me asking. Is this volunteer work or are you making a business out of it... gotta admit that would be really cool to live off of just taking care of fish pretty much lol

i would organize it by section

like inverts in one row/column/area
community in one area
semi-aggressive
aggressive
etc. and so on.........ur prob. gonna do that as u thought of it already;)

+1 on live food secion

discus? $$$ inverts? nano fishes, rams, apistos, maybe u could do altums in the show tank? and obviously the giant supplies/tools/chemicals/etc. in part of the store

Man Jeta you're already very knowledgeable about fish and know way more than I do!

My only suggestion for stocking the store would be keeping shell-dweller and apistogramma cichlids for people who want the "African assorted cichlids" but have a small tank. I could see the sales pitch on that one :)

We've got a few racks of supplies from the other store that I have to go through. A lot of it is ancient so it'll probably go into a clearance bin or get tossed into a bundle package on ebay. I'm just going to suggest keeping things minimal at first, they already have the omega one food line and the jungle medicine line.

I'm definitely going to look into shellies as an alternative to the bigger africans, it'll probably be something that won't happen till ordering time comes around again, but we'll see. There are still another 10 or so 20L's that need to be set up along with 125 feeder and plant tanks.

Where are you located.. if anywhere near me I might stop in and check it out.. I could always use a new reliable lfs

I'd like to see the following species, which seem difficult to find around me:

pygmy corys

red cherry shrimp

kuhli loaches

killifish

rummynose tetras

Not so much a stocking suggestion as a general idea.

Have little cards under each tank for each species in the tank. On each card include:

Common Name
Latin Name
Date received
Maximum size/tank requirements
Temperament/Limitations (schools, aggressive, etc)
Fragility

I see these cards sometimes, but it seems like they're always half done or misleading.

aqua_chem said:
Have little cards under each tank for each species in the tank. On each card include:

...Date received...

+1 on that point. That's one of my most common questions...and the answer is normally that they've been there for "a while", or I get a funny look followed by what's most likely a made up day.

Do you have a qt system in mind for new arrivals?

Yes and no. Since this is the first group, every tank gets to be a QT. However in later purchases we'll keep several tanks open (also for donation fish) and utilize them as QT as well.

I'm not sure what the ultimate QT plan is going to be, probably not as intense as it is when importing or receiving from an unknown source, but there will still be one in place to avoid passing around diseases. The tanks are not interconnected so the QT thing will be much easier.

We are doing 4x6 i.d. plates for each species with basic accurate care info.

You should have a small rack of literature so people have that option too... I know everytime I see a book on cichlids that I don't have I snatch it up and others will have the chance to educate themselves further with out the web

Cool, books are a good idea for sure I'll write it on my list

Eco you'll be happy to know that the fish supplier is throwing in a super concentrated bacteria solution to help establish the tanks. He said one bottle is enough to treat 4500 gallons, and its the kind that has to stay refrigerated

@aqua chem, I agree. I cannot even say how many times I have wished for frickin' latin name. I know that many people do not even think twice about it, but I think most serious aquarists do. There are wayyyyyyyy too many species that can be called the same thing.

Another thought: When I buy fish, I try to look for tank-bred fish. You can include that info on the cards. Also, local aquarium clubs/people can be sources of tank-bred fish that can hard to find elsewhere. I have tank-bred otos from a local source and they seem to much hardier than any I have ever gotten that were wild-caught. I know that when you start out, you will probably have to order from bigger places, but you will probably be contacted by a bunch of people who breed fish in the area who will offer you stock. My lfs has a ton of locally bred stock that random customers provide. :)

It's hard to do that here because there are laws requiring merchants to only buy from other merchants, etc. There are some on the list that are bred stateside, will definitely add that on their display though, I like to see tank bred stuff also.

I can do latin names without a problem, I'm pretty up to date on the common names of fish. I'll post up an example once I get the information plates made, for now it's just going to be a dry erase marker on the tank glass.

jetajockey said:
Eco you'll be happy to know that the fish supplier is throwing in a super concentrated bacteria solution to help establish the tanks. He said one bottle is enough to treat 4500 gallons, and its the kind that has to stay refrigerated

I was curious about how you go about setting up all those tanks at once which I assume will be heavily stocked right out of the gates. I saw something online a while back where some company (I think Dr. Tim's?) has a product where they instantly cycle millions of gallons of water for major aquariums around the world. I wonder if it's related to that. I'll be interested to hear about it.

It would also be interesting to learn how these companies go about effectively gathering and concentrating a predominantely substrate dwelling bacterium in a liquid environment.

Back
Top Bottom