Overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CowMoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I thought my tank was 37 gallons but it turns out it's 32... :( anyway according to aqadvisor my tank is overstocked at 136%. My filtration is a 119%. What do you guys think I should get rid of. I love my platies, swordtail and Angel so I'm not getting rid of those.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1453694796581.jpg
    1453694796581.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 80
So I thought my tank was 37 gallons but it turns out it's 32... :( anyway according to aqadvisor my tank is overstocked at 136%. My filtration is a 119%. What do you guys think I should get rid of. I love my platies, swordtail and Angel so I'm not getting rid of those.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's honestly not that bad. The stocking looks pretty reasonable and I think that you will have no problem keeping all of those fish. (y) No more though, you are pretty much maxed out.

I was recently told, that gallons really isn't that important compared to dimension of the tank . For example a tank that can hold 200 gallons but is taller than it is wide in most cases won't be as good as a 125 which has more horizontal space for fish to swim. Although I would say it mostly depends on the fish. Like angels who like to swim up and down the tank would like a taller tank compared to loaches who like to graze the bottom and chase each other around. All in all though I think your tank is fine. So long as you keep up with water changes. As for the Oto's I hear they need to be in a school to feel secure.

The issues I see
Otos need a group. Single Otos tend to die.

Sumo Loaches like riverine tanks. High flow. http://www.loaches.com/species-index/schistura-balteata

A Pleco may add too much Bioload. They tend to poop more than clean. I'd take it back and get more Otos. Rubberlips are recommended for 50g or larger. http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=870+1004&pcatid=1004

If your tank is well planted that will also help keep your conditions more balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom