Overstocking in a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wanting to get 1 betta, as many nano schooling fish(chili rasboras for example) as possible, and around 4-6 Pygmy corys.

Would this be over stocking in a heavily planted 10 gallon?

I am wanting to get 1 betta, as many nano schooling fish(chili rasboras for example) as possible, and around 4-6 Pygmy corys.

Would this be over stocking in a heavily planted 10 gallon?

No that sounds like quite a fine plan. A betta, 6 pygmy corys, and something like 8 nano schoolers are perfect for a 10 gallon planted tank. (y)

One thing I will say is to add your fish slowly so as to not overwhelm your biological filtration.

No that sounds like quite a fine plan. A betta, 6 pygmy corys, and something like 8 nano schoolers are perfect for a 10 gallon planted tank. (y)

One thing I will say is to add your fish slowly so as to not overwhelm your biological filtration.

Interesting. I asked the same question on a Facebook group and almost all the answers I got were that it’s overstocking. Thank you for your input! Are Pygmy corys a good fish for stirring up and cleaning the substrate? I ask that because I know they like to swim higher in the water column compared to most corys

Interesting. I asked the same question on a Facebook group and almost all the answers I got were that it’s overstocking. Thank you for your input! Are Pygmy corys a good fish for stirring up and cleaning the substrate? I ask that because I know they like to swim higher in the water column compared to most corys

I honestly think people are often way over the top in their opinions about overstocking. Really in my opinion the good old eye test does the trick when it comes to determining overstocking. If the fish are healthy, they can swim around without constantly bumping into other fish, and you can keep the tank clean with reasonable effort you are good. In no way is a betta and few pygmy corys/rasboras too much. pygmy corys and nano schoolers like chili rasoboras don't even achieve an inch in length. In a well planted tank with a half decent maintenance schedule you will have no problems.

Pygmy corys are not necessarily great substrate stirrers, but you really shouldn't rely on any fish to clean your tank. The only thing that cleans a tank is water changes. Just suck the gunk out of the substrate when you change your water and you are good.

I honestly think people are often way over the top in their opinions about overstocking. Really in my opinion the good old eye test does the trick when it comes to determining overstocking. If the fish are healthy, they can swim around without constantly bumping into other fish, and you can keep the tank clean with reasonable effort you are good. In no way is a betta and few pygmy corys/rasboras too much. pygmy corys and nano schoolers like chili rasoboras don't even achieve an inch in length. In a well planted tank with a half decent maintenance schedule you will have no problems.

Pygmy corys are not necessarily great substrate stirrers, but you really shouldn't rely on any fish to clean your tank. The only thing that cleans a tank is water changes. Just suck the gunk out of the substrate when you change your water and you are good.

Do pygmys do anything besides look cute?
And is there any other nano substrate stirrers?

Do pygmys do anything besides look cute?
And is there any other nano substrate stirrers?

Pygmy corys basically behave more like a water column schooler than a typical Cory. If you are dead set on wanting something for the bottom maybe a few panda corys or another smaller Cory species could work.

Back
Top Bottom