Overstocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it acceptable to slightly overstock a tank providing the filter is up to scratch and the tank maintenance is very good?

I think its more comfort for fish for example you cant really live in a bathroom let alone with 3 people. And then you have to think about adult sized fish and if they are going to still be compatiable when fully grown.

You can do it, but I don't usually suggest it. If the filter or aeration goes out due to a power outage, there could be a problem. Good tank maintenance will help alleviate problems somewhat from a bioload standpoint. The problem with the amount of available oxygen dissolved in the water won't go away though. If your systems go down, there can quickly be a problem for your fish without a backup available. These may include battery operated aeration pumps and oxygen generators.

Your fish can also be more susceptible to diseases and other problems if overcrowded. You may even end up exceeding the tanks ability to handle the bioload, depending on how bad the crowding situation is.

The one inch rule is a good guidline to follow, no need to follow it ridgedly but you must take into account the adult size of the fish you are stocking, a small school of one inch neons...fine, but a small school one inch Oscars and you will have a bit of a problem very quickly. just common sense really. I agree with Shadowraven, if you overstock even slightly and you lose power to filter and aeration you could have a major problem, slightly understocking is a safer option.

Pete

I agree more with Jason, overstocking doesn't mean just water quality, if you do enough PWC, and you have over filtration in you tank, I'm pretty sure that you can maintain healthy water.
But this is not all, also in my opinion, overstocking means not enough swimming space for certain species, or fish to close that they can start bulling others, stress for lack of space, etc.

The inch per gallon "rule" is a joke, even when you account for the adult size of the fish. There are just too many exceptions to even consider it a guideline.

Overstocking is really a fuzzy line. Most people will disagree as to when exactly a tank is overstocked. An oscar in a 10g is obviously overstocked. 15 neons in a 10g will stir a lot of discussion as whether it's overstocking. What exactly do you mean when you say "overstock"?

That said, a good oversized filter and a solid maintenance schedule will help you fully stock a tank. In a power loss/equipment failure situation you would have to be prepared to keep your water quality up to par. Backup equipment and batteries or lots of PWCs may be necessary.

Scalare said:
The one inch rule is a good guidline to follow, no need to follow it ridgedly but you must take into account the adult size of the fish you are stocking, a small school of one inch neons...fine, but a small school one inch Oscars and you will have a bit of a problem very quickly. just common sense really. I agree with Shadowraven, if you overstock even slightly and you lose power to filter and aeration you could have a major problem, slightly understocking is a safer option.

Pete

No it's not. Fish need swimming room... Which the inch rule doesn't follow.

Back
Top Bottom