Paul's 38 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got some good photos today.
My orchid Dottyback.(super camera shy)
6XNh3AW.jpg

Porcelain crab (I never see them!)
s2K1KhS.jpg

Scarlet Reef Hermit
zFsRpmR.jpg

Clown by the frogspawn.
5cUP0Xi.jpg

Traded in some some frags of zoanthids, green candy cane & pulsing xenia for a 14 head lobo coral yesterday! The color isn't the best, but I'm pretty sure thats because of their bad lights and poor water conditions. This LFS is the only one remotely close to me, and they do a poor job with coral. So I usually try to save a nice piece before it dies in their care. They had this piece priced at $90, which I wouldn't have paid, and probably no one else would have, so it would have sit in there until it died. It was basically free to me because I didn't want the pieces I got rid of for it. Hope to see it color up though! This is a pic of it acclimating, I'll post one of it in the tank soon. Still working on placement.

GKOp6wJ.jpg

Got it placed in the tank where I want it. Not too much light, kinda off to the side. I think it will be a perfect spot for it. Here are some better pics.
tX2EL7l.jpg

Jn2tEX9.jpg

The lobo is looking good. It was mostly open with tentacles out last night when lights where out.(y)

Disaster struck last night in the form of a mag-float! Was cleaning the glass when it hit a big rock in the rockscape, which its never done before. I guess the rock had settled or shifted somehow. It caused the right side of the tank to slightly collapse! Spent all night in panic mode trying to get things back with not much luck. Had to take ALOT of stuff out to fix the rock I hit (on the bottom) with not much luck and a lot of frustration. Its still not the way I want it. Couldn't get it back the same and also took the time with big pieces out to move a couple corals to better locations. Will update soon, wish me luck!:facepalm:

paul your not alone
i had that happen awhile back , i thought to my self oh this will be a walk in the park ,
think again as much as i tried i could not get back that scape i once loved , your best bet is walk away for a few minutes collect yourself and go from there
i know the work you put in the tank and its not a easy blow ,
just take your time youll find something you like and go from there
it can be painful time consuming work but you can do it
i was almost in tears when i had to redo mine
sit back stare at tank visualize what you want and go from there it worked for me
it also gave me more room for more coral

paul your not alone
i had that happen awhile back , i thought to my self oh this will be a walk in the park ,
think again as much as i tried i could not get back that scape i once loved , your best bet is walk away for a few minutes collect yourself and go from there
i know the work you put in the tank and its not a easy blow ,
just take your time youll find something you like and go from there
it can be painful time consuming work but you can do it
i was almost in tears when i had to redo mine
sit back stare at tank visualize what you want and go from there it worked for me
it also gave me more room for more coral
Yea your right, thanks. It just really drives me nuts while I'm at work knowing my tank is not right! My zoa garden had a section break off that was on another rock. Broke a piece of my war coral off too. Was able to glue it back in place, but I ended up with plenty of zoa frags! Hopefully gonna get something halfway right later when I get home. Sigh... I just need a bigger tank!! Lol.

FINALLY! Got things back to some sort of normality. Ended up moving a few corals around. Separated the war coral from the zoas that were slowly surrounding it. Changed a bunch of rocks around though you cant tell at first glance. Very happy with it for now. Plenty of room for zoas and other corals to grow! Did a water change during it all too. I have plenty of zoa frags ready to go to the LFS too as well as that gorgonian. It just gets in the way. Heres a pic of what I got as of now. Corals aren't happy in the pic because of all the moving back and forth and back and forth. Big relief of stress though! :dance:
SSbeNyo.jpg

FINALLY! Got things back to some sort of normality. Ended up moving a few corals around. Separated the war coral from the zoas that were slowly surrounding it. Changed a bunch of rocks around though you cant tell at first glance. Very happy with it for now. Plenty of room for zoas and other corals to grow! Did a water change during it all too. I have plenty of zoa frags ready to go to the LFS too as well as that gorgonian. It just gets in the way. Heres a pic of what I got as of now. Corals aren't happy in the pic because of all the moving back and forth and back and forth. Big relief of stress though! :dance:
SSbeNyo.jpg

looking at it you would never know things were re arranged great job
paul (y)

Paul what are the two sps in the top right? It looks great, I can't tell the difference lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

looking at it you would never know things were re arranged great job
paul (y)
Thanks! I'm glad I was able to work it out without destroying everything.

Paul what are the two sps in the top right? It looks great, I can't tell the difference lol
The one up front is a pink pocillopora and I think the green one in the back is some sort of branching montipora, not positive on that one.

Took a few 'up close' pics of some coral yesterday. Tell me what you think!
Frogspawn-
MlytQob.jpg

Zoanthids-
gbDS0Hm.jpg

Galaxea-
1RCjRX5.jpg

War Coral-
Uh2RbfB.jpg

Those are fantastic pictures Paul! I am quite jealous of your photo taking skills

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom