peeps with gold nugget plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really really want one of these guys and a LFS can special order it for me. I've read that a minimum tank size for one of these cuties is a 55 gallon. Why so big? I've read conflicting info about the size they can get up to as well. I was really hoping to have a pleco only tank (just the gold nugget) in a 29g. Is this honestly unrealistic?

I found a lfs near campus this week that had a nice stock of gold nugget plecos! I was very surprised at it!

I don't know how much you know about plecos, I am still struggling to learn. There are 3 different gold nugget plecos so you have to know the L number of the one you are looking for. I am not 100% sure but I think the different L numbers might be the size of spots on them google these numbers L-018 (also known as L-085), L-081 and L-177 you might find out more. I have seen plecos go for over $500 per fish on a plant forum, the guy was actually losing on them.

You are in NC there is a fish auction this weekend in Raliegh!! I have to work Friday evening so I won't get to go.

yeah i dont know which L number they were but ill look next time i go

Hi,
I used to have 3 plec's in my old 50g corner tank. My golden nugget was about 2" and I had a black and white striped (can't remember the name...clown?) and a common sailfin type, both about 1.5".
In the two years I had them the two colourfull ones grew only a little, topped off at about 3.5 to 4", the sailfin was about 5-6" though.

I'd have thought a nugget would be ok for a while (few years) in your tank, but be prepared to move him on eventually. Maybe try and find a small one to start with.

Cool fish in my opinion.

Ad

When buying a pleco always get the L number, never rely on the common name as that is often missrepresented.
Once you get the L number Plantetcatfish.com is the best source online for specifics and if you have questions about plecos Plecofanatics.com is the place to go.

Back
Top Bottom