Piranhas!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel_cichlid03

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay im getting a 55g tank and i want to do piranhas i will be running two 60gallon HOB filters and 2 power heads and under gravel filter and i have been doing some research and i would like to get a shoal of about 4-5 three inch red - bellied piranhas. Will soon upgrade to a 100g around December.... does anyone have any expirence or knowledge that would also help me in keeping these fish

Check your state laws on keeping them :) I'm pretty sure we aren't aloud to keep them in Australia but you might be able to keep them wherever you are :)

Your location says you live in Florida, piranhas are illegal there. From what I understand, even public aquariums aren't allowed to display them. The state doesn't want to risk them getting released into the waterways.

I just looked on our wildlife website the species of piranha i want isn't illegal where im at

I think coyne is right. But hey, I always say, its not illegal unless you get caught!
:)
Good luck!

Piranhas require a permit in Kentucky. I am pretty sure in Florida, if you get caught, you would face heavy fines. Florida is having so many problems with invasive species that they are really cracking down. Many people may have them and just haven't been caught yet. I correspond with many people in FLorida that have snakes as pets. They are getting lots of grief about them. Too many irresponsible people who decide to just dump non native species. Why not check out some of your states species of fish. I am sure you could find something as cool as piranha without the danger to your ecosystem.

Realize that we aren't all coming down on you for wanting to keep them, but just trying to warn you for your own sake and the sake of the hobby we all share. Recently there has been a lot of talk about banning all imported fish species and essentially killing the hobby of fishkeeping, all because of the issue of
Irresponsible fish keepers dumping their fish into their native waters where they become invasive. And Florida has seen some of the worst of it. If you get caught, not only will you probably get a hefty fine, but you will be adding fuel to the fire to ban keeping any non-native fish. Florida doesn't even allow public aquariums and zoos to display piranhas. They take this ban seriously.

I've wanted piranhas for years, too, but I live in Louisiana where they are also banned. Hopefully one day I will find myself living in a state that allows them, but until then I won't. They could destroy our ecosystem, too, and I am happier knowing that they aren't allowed so it is a lot harder for them to be acquired here. And yes, of course some people will have them where they shouldn't - there will always be a black market when something is banned.

If you want a wicked killer fish, check out the arrowanas or some of the other really aggressive fish. There are many to choose from that are just as mean as Pirahnas, and legal and some alot more colorful. OS.

Well this blows lol .. i do want to do a aggressive preditory tank i want a carnivorous fish with sharp teeth, which i why i wanted piranhas... i just want something that can go in a 55 gallon till i upgrade to a 100 in December so anyone got any ideas

Interesting. They don't get as large as their cousins, but you could probably get a pretty large school in a 55 gallon (and eventually 100 gallon) tank.

I'd still double check if they're legal in Florida. It seems like they might not be for the same reason the piranha isn't.

Angelfish are large and somewhat predatory fish suitable for a 55 gallon aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom