Piranhas!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why not get a pacu? looks just like a red belly

except you don't have to throw raw chicken/raw beef in their tank to feed them

pira_pacuhead.jpg

Gar and pacus are not really suitable for household tanks when you consider how enormous they get. For a 55 gal your best bet would be a single oscar (and even that is not ideal) or the exodons. A huge school of tiger barbs would be really cool too.

why not get a pacu? looks just like a red belly

except you don't have to throw raw chicken/raw beef in their tank to feed them

Pacus are ugly way too big for home aquariums even a 100 gl is too small. And did I mention they are ugly

Pacus are ugly way too big for home aquariums even a 100 gl is too small. And did I mention they are ugly

>wants red belly piranha

here this is the same fish except it doesn't eat chicken, beef or gold fish

>nah they're ugly bro

????
then why do you want a red belly?!

:banghead:

I agree with azmodan. Tiger barbs are a good option since they stay small and are active/ semi aggressive

Go with the exodon. I just did some research. I want a shoal of them now.

okay im getting a 55g tank and i want to do piranhas i will be running two 60gallon HOB filters and 2 power heads and under gravel filter and i have been doing some research and i would like to get a shoal of about 4-5 three inch red - bellied piranhas. Will soon upgrade to a 100g around December.... does anyone have any expirence or knowledge that would also help me in keeping these fish

I live in ohio and then sell the red bellys here

"The entire subfamily Serrasalminae is prohibited in Florida due to its predatory nature, human safety concerns and their proven ability to spawn and survive in south Florida."

I got that from this website:
http://m.myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/fish/freshwater/nonnatives/piranha/

Well in that case I'm sure they are already established down there somewhereZ some moron had to release some into the wild . Some people are just not intelligent like with the snake issues people's pet snakes being let go and so on

Piranhas require a permit in Kentucky. I am pretty sure in Florida, if you get caught, you would face heavy fines. Florida is having so many problems with invasive species that they are really cracking down. Many people may have them and just haven't been caught yet. I correspond with many people in FLorida that have snakes as pets. They are getting lots of grief about them. Too many irresponsible people who decide to just dump non native species. Why not check out some of your states species of fish. I am sure you could find something as cool as piranha without the danger to your ecosystem.

Sometimes if you can't rehome its better to kill especially invasive species rather than introduce it to a new location

Red bellies get to large for a 55 growing upwards of 12". But you know that. A 100g would still be to small for 5 adult RB's.

They are also deathly boring unless being fed. Not to mention you would need better than a couple a hob filters because P's are grossly messy.

If you are into P's that much I would look into Serrasalmus elongates. They pretty much top out at about 8" and grow super slow. Like 1" per year slow. Also are among the most aggressive of all the Serrasalmus. Will finger chase as well as bite you if you we're to go in the tank. Only downside is it would have to be kept solo.

Sorry didn't read threw everything. Just dropping a few of my cents.

As stated a few other options would be a shoal of exodons(buck tooth tetras).

GSP green spotted puffer. (Eventually needs brackish)

Red wolf fish (also called high fin or rainbow wolf)

Cuban cichlids. (Nasty as the big boys)

Grammode cichlids (slow growers HUGE attitude)

Jack Dempsey (better option for a 55 than a Oscar)

Green terror (same as JD)

Salvini cichlids (better than jds/gts bigger attitude) also gnarly teeth for a med size cichlid.

Oh and a fire eel grows to large for both a 55 and 100g they get up to like 3+'

Green spotted puffers need saltwater. There is a freshwater puffer sold as the green puffer

A 55 gallon should be okay for two 3inch oscars and a 5 inch needle nose gar till December when i get the hundred gallon and then even then they should be okay in the 100 gallon till i can get a 180 around April/May of next year.

A 55 gallon should be okay for two 3inch oscars and a 5 inch needle nose gar till December when i get the hundred gallon and then even then they should be okay in the 100 gallon till i can get a 180 around April/May of next year.

By December those fish will be WAY to big for a 55. The smallest gar shouldn't even be kept in anything smaller than a 3' deep tank anyways. The spotted/Fla gar would be the smallest btw. And they reach about 2'+ in length.

All them fish will be about 9-10" by dec. given proper care and diet. They should be growing at a inch + a month.

Good luck with them though. Hopefully you will upgrade.

By December those fish will be WAY to big for a 55. The smallest gar shouldn't even be kept in anything smaller than a 3' deep tank anyways. The spotted/Fla gar would be the smallest btw. And they reach about 2'+ in length.

All them fish will be about 9-10" by dec. given proper care and diet. They should be growing at a inch + a month.

Good lunch with them though. Hopefully you will upgrade.

nice little Freudian slip there to take care of that fish "too big for tank" issue

I wont even get the fish till around end of July early August maybe they should be fine in 55g till December

got the 55 up and running starting to cycle it... Running the 2 aqua tech 30-60 .. One of which i already had going on my 29 gallon tropical tank since October... So hopefully that will help speed up the cycle

Back
Top Bottom