Plants and Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octember123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon aquarium. I want to put live plants in it. I don't know if the plants grow well in the sand. Should I use some kind of fertilizer like Seachem Flourite? Or can the plants survive just in the sand? If they can survive in the sand, how much sand would be appropriate for the plants?:thanks:

It really depends on what plants you are keeping. Most plants will grow better with a plant substrate, but it is not always required. If you list what plants you are wanting to keep and other details about liquid ferts etc, it will be easier to say. Overall, most plants will grow better, and most plants need it, some plants don't.

I just ordered dwarf hairgrass and myriophyllum i'm trying to get prepared for their arrival:lol:

You can grow pretty much everything. Here is one of my tanks when I had sand in it:

9826-albums6967-picture29971.jpg

You don't have any plant substrate? just sand? how about your CO2?

That's just plain Pool Filter Sand. Nothing was added that would be benefical to the plants. IE no root tabs, no clay, etc

I run high light setups, so I have to have CO2. I posted that pic to show you that you don't NEED a nutrient rich substrate to grow plants. Right now I am in the middle of cleaning some PFS to replace my 'plant substrate' that I put in many years ago.

I have grown many (probably in the hundreds) different plant species with that setup and NEVER had a an issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom