plants in sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ill be getting a 55g soon was wondering from some of your guys experience which plants do well in sand only? or if a dirt capped with sand would be better i want to do a planted tank ive been researching reading up a bit before hand i wouldnt mind some personal experience for ideas maybe some pics for ideas thank you ahead of time

For me ludwigia repens and total seem to do well in just sand. I'm sure they would prefer the dirt capped with sand though. Unless its sheave root feeder like swords or carpeting plants I don't think sand is much if an issue. ESP if you supplement with root tabs.

M1k3y_gumi said:
For me ludwigia repens and total seem to do well in just sand. I'm sure they would prefer the dirt capped with sand though. Unless its sheave root feeder like swords or carpeting plants I don't think sand is much if an issue. ESP if you supplement with root tabs.

Thank you ill keep researching and reading which plants never ends lol this will be my journal on this project ill have pics up as soon as i get the tank

I have just sand in my 55 and Eco complete in my 20 and plain gravel in my 10 and I can't tell a difference. I do use excell and root tabs though. With sand you will usually have to use some sort of ferts for your java ferns and such.

image-446484039.jpg

hcourts said:
I have just sand in my 55 and Eco complete in my 20 and plain gravel in my 10 and I can't tell a difference. I do use excell and root tabs though. With sand you will usually have to use some sort of ferts for your java ferns and such.

First off very nice tank and secondly glad to know it can work ill keep all ideas and opinions in mind when setting upon

You have alot of options sand or gravel, soil capped with another substrate, and many choices of commercial substrate. Capped soil is a very nutrient rich substrate but in the beginning you have to deal with gas pockets (which you daily need to poke around the tank with a skewer or something to release the gas-this is for maybe 6 weeks). But plants take off in dirt, never have expierenced any type of melt on any plant in a dirted tank. You can also mineralize dirt first and then you don't have the gas issue to deal with. I've heard nothing but good about mineralized dirt. Sand and gravel work but since they are inert and not capable of holding nutrients you need to use root tabs. Commercial substrates like Eco-Complete, Florite, and others have a high CEC which means they are able to hold nutrients and make them available for the plant roots. In my opinion you can make all of them work and it boils down to how much you want to spend.

Rivercats said:
You have alot of options sand or gravel, soil capped with another substrate, and many choices of commercial substrate. Capped soil is a very nutrient rich substrate but in the beginning you have to deal with gas pockets (which you daily need to poke around the tank with a skewer or something to release the gas-this is for maybe 6 weeks). But plants take off in dirt, never have expierenced any type of melt on any plant in a dirted tank. You can also mineralize dirt first and then you don't have the gas issue to deal with. I've heard nothing but good about mineralized dirt. Sand and gravel work but since they are inert and not capable of holding nutrients you need to use root tabs. Commercial substrates like Eco-Complete, Florite, and others have a high CEC which means they are able to hold nutrients and make them available for the plant roots. In my opinion you can make all of them work and it boils down to how much you want to spend.

Very true about the spending part lol i had been thinking of doing dirt capped with sand the substrates you just mentioned are those the mineralized you mentioned?

Mineralizing topsoil is a process, some on here have done it and there is alot of info on how to do it online. I personally have never done it. The tanks I have dirt in are just plain Organic Potting Soil (not potting mix) 1-1/2 inches, capped with Eco-complete (that is just what I use-has a high CEC) also 1-1/2 inches thick. This is on my big 220g tank. On the 55 I only did an 1 inch of soil and 1 inch of Eco and it's worked for me.

Here is a link to the Organic Soil I use, also of people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. Not sure why they list it as lawn soil because if you read the bag it is Organic Potting Soil.

Shop Just Natural Just Natural 1 cu ft Lawn Soil at Lowes.com=

Rivercats said:
Mineralizing topsoil is a process, some on here have done it and there is alot of info on how to do it online. I personally have never done it. The tanks I have dirt in are just plain Organic Potting Soil (not potting mix) 1-1/2 inches, capped with Eco-complete (that is just what I use-has a high CEC) also 1-1/2 inches thick. This is on my big 220g tank. On the 55 I only did an 1 inch of soil and 1 inch of Eco and it's worked for me.

Here is a link to the Organic Soil I use, also of people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. Not sure why they list it as lawn soil because if you read the bag it is Organic Potting Soil.

Thank you ill keep that in mind

I have a 55g planted with pure sand from the beach. I started with 2 inches of sand for about a month. After the roots of the plants started to poke out I added another two inches and the first layer of sand has turned darker. Im assuming from the particles that were buried. It has worked out very well and my plants are very healthy

Rivercats said:

Hey rivercats i looked at the link you sent me is that soil mineralized like you mentioned

No it is not. I don't mineralize my soil. If you choose not to mineralize the soil you have tannins leeching for about 4 weeks and gas pockets which you need to poke around the substrate daily to release them. I dirted my 220g and what I did was 100% WC's the first 7 days (which removed alot of tannins and excess nutrients) and removed 50% of the water on the 8th day and planted very very heavily. I ran Purgen in my canister which helped remove tannins so I didn't have a huge tannin problem. I used a stainless steel skewer (a stainess meat fork works good too) to poke around in the substrate 3-4 times a day for the first 4 weeks to release gas that forms from the organic soil initally breaking down in the water. It also helps to plant and float plants that are good at mopping up excess nutrients that are also released during the first few weeks. Water sprite, most fast growing stem plants, and floaters are all good for that. My tank was also fully cycled by day 10 doing it this way. I added a BN Pleco on day 10 to start helping with new tank diatoms.

Rivercats said:
No it is not. I don't mineralize my soil. If you choose not to mineralize the soil you have tannins leeching for about 4 weeks and gas pockets which you need to poke around the substrate daily to release them. I dirted my 220g and what I did was 100% WC's the first 7 days (which removed alot of tannins and excess nutrients) and removed 50% of the water on the 8th day and planted very very heavily. I ran Purgen in my canister which helped remove tannins so I didn't have a huge tannin problem. I used a stainless steel skewer (a stainess meat fork works good too) to poke around in the substrate 3-4 times a day for the first 4 weeks to release gas that forms from the organic soil initally breaking down in the water. It also helps to plant and float plants that are good at mopping up excess nutrients that are also released during the first few weeks. Water sprite, most fast growing stem plants, and floaters are all good for that. My tank was also fully cycled by day 10 doing it this way. I added a BN Pleco on day 10 to start helping with new tank diatoms.

Thats very helpful thank you

Here is my 20 gallon planted with pool filter sand. The plants grow very well with a weekly Seachem Flourish dosing.
image-1101398444.jpg

Back
Top Bottom