Plastic Looking bubble on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glstine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anybody know what the bubble in the center of the picture is. It seems like it just popped up one day.

Valonia sp bubble algae ;)

Pretty but can encroach on corals. Emerald crabs are supposed to eat it as well as Red Sea Sailfin tangs (Z desjardeni). I use needle nose pliers to remove them ;)

I've got huge ones on mine, how do you use needle nose pliers on it, aren't you not supposed to pop them? :?

don't worry these are pretty common thier just a type of algae. but snails won't eat these. you'll need an emerald crab, maybe a tang will eat them. its not uncommon to have these. i don't think these algae are caused by wastes or to much light. so it looks like you'll have to get a crab if you don't like em.

good luck
echo

they are common... they are also quite firm! they look like just a little bubble of water with a green film... but they are QUITE firm and durable. you can "pluck" them off the rock just like they're grapes :)

Plus, for a few minutes when you pull the large ones out they make wonderful “super” balls.=) (not recommended for children under the age of 25). But yeah, pull with confidence, only the really small ones close to corals where I can’t get a good grip have ever broken on me.

Back
Top Bottom