Please confirm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
After adding 2 clown fish, 10 crab and 5 snails 12 hours ago (initial stocking) I have the following test results. I ran a complete Saltwater and Reef test even though I have no corals because I wanted to see where I stand. I am using filtered tap water but not RO/DI and I wanted to see if I really needed to spend another $70.00 +/- right this minute. I have had some algae (I think it is hair algae) but it has not been bad and the CUC immediately went to work on it so I am not so sure if using filtered tap water is going to be that bad a deal for me as long as I keep an eye on it. Based on these results, I think my water quality is in good shape. What do you think?

Temp. 79
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Calcium 520+ (may have messed that one up. Will have to try again)
KH 7
Phosphate 0

Those look great. My nitrates are pretty consistently at 20 and I've had no problems...(knocking on wood!)

Looking good so far! I like to keep my cal around 450, thou. A water change would help bring that down, but it should not harm your tank sence there is no corals. I would correct that befor i add any corals. Good luck! :)

Looking good so far! I like to keep my cal around 450, thou. A water change would help bring that down, but it should not harm your tank sence there is no corals. I would correct that befor i add any corals. Good luck! :)

Thanks. I figure I need to wait at least a month or so before I try to tackle corals. I will keep an eye on things for a while and see if the calcium comes down any. Not sure where all the calcium is coming from unless the water supply is very high. I am going to check that this afternoon and see what I find.

people will keep saying to use ro/di water just because tap water is introducing trace elements to your tank that will only accumulate and resurface as an outbreak later on. not me though :)...just people..

LOL Francis. Thanks. I am cautions about going against what "People" say when it is so many people but in this cause I think I am going to try to get by for a while. :)

Here are the results of the tap water test (after filtration but with no conditioner).

PH Less than 7.4
Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 0 (if I am doing it right, that means I am getting a lot from Instant Ocean and not using any up as of now)
KH 2
Phosphate 1

I am a bit cureous to know why I get a Phosphate reading of 1 in the tap water but 0 in the tank water. Would it be because the little bit of algae I have is consuming it?

francis said:
people will keep saying to use ro/di water just because tap water is introducing trace elements to your tank that will only accumulate and resurface as an outbreak later on. not me though :)...just people..

I'm one of "those people".Tap water will always end up causing problems,especially when you start getting corals,especially the sps corals

Remember SW is not like freshwater.you definitely want to use RO/DI water .IMO

I'm one of "those people".Tap water will always end up causing problems,especially when you start getting corals,especially the sps corals

Remember SW is not like freshwater.you definitely want to use RO/DI water .IMO

I am deffinately planning on it before I start adding corals. It just boils down to the cost at the moment. Got to pay off some of the initial investment first. :) :banghead:

Here are the results of the tap water test (after filtration but with no conditioner).

Phosphate 1

I am a bit cureous to know why I get a Phosphate reading of 1 in the tap water but 0 in the tank water. Would it be because the little bit of algae I have is consuming it?

:brows: - ro/di water looks pretty sweet now i bet :lol:

:brows: - ro/di water looks pretty sweet now i bet :lol:

So are you saying that the phospate reading is trouble? I know it would be best to have 0 but is 1 rally all that bad? Honest thoughts please. I don't want to spend the extra money but I don't want to fight a loosing battle either. No need to spare my feelings trust me. :) If you think I am an idiot I can take it. Hehehe

disclaimer - I have not gotten into reef keeping yet but look at the recommended phosphate levels here Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

seems like a lot more when ideally you want .0something

Also, I just thought i'd mention this but when I did the math for buying say..50 gallons of saltwater from my LFS it comes out to $25 (.50/gallon) while at the same time buying a bag of salt mix that yields 50 gallons = about $25

francis said:
disclaimer - I have not gotten into reef keeping yet but look at the recommended phosphate levels here Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Also, I just thought i'd mention this but when I did the math for buying say..50 gallons of saltwater from my LFS it comes out to $25 (.50/gallon) while at the same time buying a bag of salt mix that yields 50 gallons = about $25

You can get a box of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals for mixing 200 gallons for about $50.00.On eBay you can find RO/DI units for between $50 to $80 bucks.
Anyone who is planning to stay in SW for any amount of time is way better off to go that route.Plus you have the advantage of mixing your own water and insuring the mix is correct.You would be surprised how much the LFS's water can be off and even they top off water they sell isn't always good.
Also,no lugging containers back and forth.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. As for the LFS saltwater, the distance to any LFS makes that very hard for me. When it comes to cost, I bought a box of salt for less than $50.00 yesterday. That box will do 200 gallons of water. That works out to be .25/gallon.

Ricksreef, I would love your input on the phosphate. Do I really have a lot to worry about if my filtered tap water has a phosphate reading of 1?

If you're doing a fowlr tank, phosphates won't matter and will only produce algae. If your doing a reef, any amount if phosphates can stunt and kill some corals. There. Yes, 1.0 ppm phosphates do matter.

If you're doing a fowlr tank, phosphates won't matter and will only produce algae. If your doing a reef, any amount if phosphates can stunt and kill some corals. There. Yes, 1.0 ppm phosphates do matter.

Right now it is a FOWLR however, that is only because I have been told to wait a month or two before adding any coral. Guess I better get an RO/DI unit orderred up today. You guys have made my mind up. Thanks, I may be stubborn but I come around in time. (y)

I love this forum.

I added coral a week after I setup and cycled my aquarium. It was a rock with zoas on them. I think people tell you to wait, so you can gain more experience IMO.

I added coral a week after I setup and cycled my aquarium. It was a rock with zoas on them. I think people tell you to wait, so you can gain more experience IMO.

Which, in my case, is not a bad idea. LOL :facepalm: It is hard enough trying to keep up with all I need to figure out about the fish let alone the corals.

Anyway, you guys will be glad to hear that I just finished placing an order for th RO/DI unit. You done good.

Back
Top Bottom