pleco for a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjhabe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of setting up a 55 gallon tank. At this point it's just sitting in my living room, but eventually it will be housing barbs, giant danios, and pictus cats. I'd really like a pleco or two, and am thinking of bristle nose or clowns, but was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of something different. I'd like a little bigger one, but I know the tank is too small for a common or a sailfin. Any suggestions?

thanks, and clown plecos

I love the bristlenoses, too. Does anyone have any experience with the clown plecos? My lfs just started carrying them, and they look pretty cute. Small, too.

I have a clown in my 65 gal, have had him for years. What would you like to know?

I love the bristlenoses, too. Does anyone have any experience with the clown plecos? My lfs just started carrying them, and they look pretty cute. Small, too.

I really like my clown! But it took mine a few months to get comfy enough to show itself. I got it last summer and even now I only see it at feedings and in the morning. But if you want a pleco that's out and about and really eats 'algae', I'd recommend a bnp. I've also had one of these and the guy/gal never sat still. Whatever species you decide on, provide a real piece of dw and plenty of hiding spots. It doesn't really make since but the more 'cluttered' your tank is, the more your pleco will be out&about.

I love bristlenose, not only do they look awesome, but they have algae eating super powers.

Mlani, do you see your clown often? How is he at eating algae? Mostly I guess I just want to know what you think, if you like him, etc. I love plecos. They're one of my favorites, and what I'd like is to get a sailfin and have him for years and watch him grow, but 18 inches is too big for my tank, and it wouldn't be fair to him. The rhino looks fun, but again, too big, I think.
I do love the bristlenose, and was thinking of a nice pair, maybe albinos so they show up a bit more. Just thinking about options! Thanks everyone!

Clowns eat mostly wood I think.

Bristlenose eat just about everything from green spot to brown. Although they need wood too

Mlani, do you see your clown often? How is he at eating algae? Mostly I guess I just want to know what you think, if you like him, etc. I love plecos. They're one of my favorites, and what I'd like is to get a sailfin and have him for years and watch him grow, but 18 inches is too big for my tank, and it wouldn't be fair to him. The rhino looks fun, but again, too big, I think.
I do love the bristlenose, and was thinking of a nice pair, maybe albinos so they show up a bit more. Just thinking about options! Thanks everyone!

When he was younger he hid a lot during the day. Mostly came out at night. He eats algae, (again at night) wood and shrimp pellets. I also give wafers. He is my smallest pleco and also my oldest. He almost looks prehistoric now that hes older hes gotten a thistle appearance to his skin. I love his eyes and his feisty character. He doesn't take any crap from anyone. (Which is good since he's homed with Africans) I also have a butterfly albino bristle nose in another tank. The algae eaters (plecos) I have are the clown, the BN and a flash. They all stay small and are active in their own ways. The BN is the most active, then my clown and lastly the flash. There's so many to choose from its tough to pick just one :) I hope I've helped some.

Clown plecos

Yeah clown plecos max out at around 4-5 inches so they are a pretty good option but I still think that the bristle nose would be ideal for your setup. Good luck :)

I love my bristle nose! I got him and two other when he was the size of a single piece of gravel at two weeks old and he's the only one I have left (the others were eaten I think, never found dead bodies). He's flourishing and has grown an incredible amount. He's about 4 or 5 months old now is about 2.5 inches. I've had rubber lips before but they are not quite as hardy as the bristle nose. I've heard that clowns are the easiest of the plecos to breed in a tank if that's what you're interested in but it's also possible with a couple of the bristle nose. I seem him all the time and he definitely is spot on when it comes to cleaning!

You will have to let us know which you decide and post a picture too :)

choosing

I wish I had more tanks! I have a female bn in my 20l and she's beautiful. I'd love something different, but at this point I think I'm going with a pair of albino bn. **** fish. They keep making me want more tanks!

How do you think most of us ended up with multiple tanks!? Lol! I have 4 in my living room alone. *hides face*

Splash out on a green phantom pleco and leopard frog pleco, should be fine together in a 55 and you won't be disappointed.

my choice...

Thanks, everyone! At this point I'm going with a pair of albino bristlenoses. I do love them and am thinking that they may show up a bit more than the regular ones. I'm going to research the frog pleco a bit more. And I have definitely been hit with MTS. I have a 29, a 20 long, a 5 gallon shrimp tank, a 7 gallon dwarf tank, and the 55. Not to mention the 5 betta tanks... Pictures to follow!

Back
Top Bottom