Pond Goldfish Dying! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can definitely see those spots getting worse. I would stop the ich medication. I see no signs of ich at all on him and if that's when the problem started, definitely see if stopping the meds helps. I would hold off on the canned carrots. Canned goods usually contain a ton of salt. Wait until you can get some frozen ones, so as not to chance adding more problems for your fish. When you can get to the store, Prime, peas, and maybe frozen broccoli or sprouts. Start with just a couple of peas and see how that does for him. Don't want to overwhelm him with too much new food all at once.
The 10 gallon filter--do you know the GPH on that? How big is the tote, approximately, in liters or gallons?

Well, the ich medicine also treats that saprolengenasis (I don't know how to spell it). But yeah, I'll stop giving. I already gave some today, now I'm wishing I hadn't.

The tote is probably close to 40 gallons. Just eyeballing it. I haven't really dug it out of my closet yet. I will know more on that tomorrow.
I have no idea about the filter. How do you determine the GPH? Its just an older Tetra 10 gallon in tank filter.

Also, when I switch the fish over tomorrow, should I put half of the water from the 29 gallon in the tote? How can I get it to be cycled instantly or is that possible? Cause the 10 gallon filter is coming from an already cycled tank. Does that make sense?

Is there a model number anywhere on that Tetra filter that I might be able to Google to chase down the GPH? That's the only way to determine it. Otherwise, if you're able, a Penguin 350 Biowheel will work well in a 40 gallon and costs about $30. You can still add the old filter from the Tetra 10 gallon in to help jumpstart your cycle.
Water carries almost no beneficial bacteria, so that won't make any difference in the cycle. If you suspect there was ever any kind of fungus or parasite, as you were treating your fish, I would go ahead and use all new water in the tote. The filter from the Tetra 10 gallon will help jumpstart the cycle in the tote, but won't actually cycle the tote for you. You'll need to be carefully monitoring water parameters as you'll be doing a fish-in cycle though hopefully the seeded filter will shorten the timeframe. Prime is a must since you'll be doing a fish-in.

I actually have one of those penguin filters in my community tank but I can't take that one out. I really hate to go buy another filter that I won't be using after these fish move back into the pond. Could my cichlids do without their 40 gallon filter and just have a 10 gallon filter inside? I could use the 40 gallon filter in the tote. But idk if my cichlid tank could be supported by a 10 gallon filter.

I'll look for a model number tomorrow on that filter.

The parameters were somewhat the same as last night. Except the ammonia didn't look quite 0.25 but just a little lighter. Almost 0. Nitrates and nitrates looked the same. Maybe it was cause I did a 60% the second time.

I unfortunately know absolutely nothing about cichlids. I know that goldfish have huge filtration needs, much higher than many fish, but I can't advise you on whether or not the cichlids would do well with a smaller filter. Maybe post that question in a separate thread somewhere here at AA on a cichlid forum?
Very glad to hear that ammonia is finally going down!! Any amount of ammonia is lethal, so the closer you can get it to zero, the better. Keep up the great work!

Leave your cichlid filter- they need it. I would check out amazon for an Aqueon 50 or 55/75. They are decent filters and very reasonably priced. You may be facing similar circumstances next winter and its best to be prepared in advance anyway. You can keep the extra filter running on your cichlid tank during the summer and move it in the event you need to move fish inside again. Your doing a great job!!! keep up the good work with wcs! :)

Ok, I will do some searching online tomorrow for a filter. Should I leave the sick fish in the 29 gallon or put him in the tote? Since hes been staying on the bottom alot, the bottom of the tote would be more comfortable than the rocks in the 29 gallon. But I dont want to stress him out in another uncycled tank.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't move the sick fish. He's settled into his tank now and seems to be improving. No need to cause him undue stress with a move to new quarters.

How deep is your pond

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, I just switched 2 fish into the tote. I thought the tote was bigger but it is only 30 gallons. I put half of the water from the 29 gallon in the tote. It has an air stone and the 10 gallon filter in it.

Here is what I could find on the filter:
Bio Flow Mini Tetra Whisper
01F26
Ac 115v
60 Hz 4W

My husband managed to get me some frozen peas today so im going to give them to him now. One 50% water change has already been done. So should I try a 60 or 70% water change tonight in the 29 gallon? Maybe that will erase the ammonia.

I am so amazed at what those green peas have done! I can not wait until everyone reads this post. I literally gave those peas to my sick fish 2 hours ago and his body isnt bent anymore!!!!!!! He is swimming straight and he isnt laying at the bottom anymore! I hand fed him 2 whole peas, which was 4 halves. I am really excited and so glad my husband brought home those peas!

He still looks rough though with all those black spots but at least he isnt bent anymore. I really wish I would have known that a while back. Maybe I would have been able to save my guppy.

Thank you, everyone for helping me get him this far! I would have never thought to give him peas. I gave my other goldfish some peas and they seemed to enjoy them.

Continue to help me with those black spots. Im determined to save him!

Hooray for peas!!! :) :) :) It must have been some sort of issue with his swim bladder, in addition to whatever else was going on with him. Goldies love veggies so anytime you want to supplement with carrots, sprouts, broccoli florets (my goldies looooooooove broccoli), lettuce, spinach, etc., they will be very very happy. Awesome job! We're determined to save him too!:dance::bb::smilecolros:

Is one of these your filter?
Tetra Whisper Bioflow Mini Tank Pets Reviews and Products | Epinions.com
If so, that is way too small for goldfish and you'll wind up with toxic water parameters almost immediately. As JLK suggested, consider buying that Biowheel 350 and having it as a backup for future emergencies. Otherwise, I'm concerned that you'll end up with 2 more sick fish due to the lack of filtration and oxygenation in the tote's water.

It looks more like the 10 gallon filter. Not the 3i.

It will be a few more days before I can get a new filter? What should I do until then? Should I put those fish back into the 29 gallon until I can get a big enough filter?

Also, my sick fish is still doing really good. He hasnt laid on the bottom since he ate those peas. Its just those black spots look horrible. I just finished the second water change.

Let's see what JLK suggests about the filter. Transferring them back to the main tank is just more stress for them, but I'm really worried about the low level filtration. I have no idea what those black spots are. Do they look at all improved today? Or are they worse?

The ammonia is 0 today!!
Nitrates are still 5 and nitrites are 0.

Back
Top Bottom