Ponyo in a 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use airline with a valve to adjust flow. I put the fish in their water in a one gallon bucket and then put that bucket in a five gallon bucket. I let it overflow until the water is near the top of the one gallon bucket. I might be doing it all wrong.

I know he uses the same city water. The guy who owns the shop is usually the one I work with. I specifically go at off-peak times so that he's not busy.

This time there was a woman who brought several kitty litter buckets full of coral skeletons and Texas holey rocks, parked in the accessible spot to unload them, had the gall to tell me that she'd just be a minute when I pointed out that accessible spots are not loading zones, and then didn't even know how much she wanted for her rocks. She's not my buddy. Anyway, the guy I trust was busy, so a teenager who works for him did the catching and bagging.

Apparently things went well with the return, so that's good. I've never had it happen where, by the time we got home, I already could tell at least one of the fish would die.

So sorry to hear about your ordeal... she'll get what's coming to her someday for being so blatantly rude and inconsiderate (and also breaking a law...).
And I hope your remaining fishies are doing well.

Sounds like the acclimation was great, just different.

Hate when people do not respect the Handicap spaces, as my husband uses them too. Even if I have his vehicle I wouldn't park in it for convenience. lol I even had to start reminding him to not park in the specialized/sized/located van spaces if he can help it, he said he hadn't considered that some of the vehicles can't park if they do not have the room for the equipment to come out of it in the right spot. :)

Glad you were able to exchange them.

I tried otos once and had a similar experience. And lord knows there was algae to eat. The Amanos worked out much better.

Thanks, Dreaminginblue, Autumnsky and TMaier.

Both the spouse and child want to keep the otos. I want them to care about the hobby, so I'm hesitant to shut them down.

I found an exoskeleton. I can't find it's previous inhabitant. Hopefully it's hiding really well and wasn't eaten in its vulnerable state.

I actually really want to get some red cherry shrimp, but I won't if the amanos get eaten. They're supposed to be fast enough that the puffers won't catch them. The fish nerd place also has blue rili shrimp, crystal shrimp that look like candy canes, and velvet shrimp (plus a few others I can't remember)-- but then I remember that I'm not getting into shrimp for the sake of shrimp.

Last edited:
One of my favorite things are the Shrimp (and also love snails). I have had bright red RH snails and shrimp in a 2.5G next to the bed, it was fun to watch them before sleeping.

The negative is snails poop so much they were always making a mess of the tank. Needing large amounts of water changing whereas the shrimp prefer a small pwc to maintain nice stable tank parameters.

Maybe a limited number or special color RH with them.

I actually really want to get some red cherry shrimp, but I won't if the amanos get eaten. They're supposed to be fast enough that the puffers won't catch them. The fish nerd place also has blue rili shrimp, crystal shrimp that look like candy canes, and velvet shrimp (plus a few others I can't remember)-- but then I remember that I'm not getting into shrimp for the sake of shrimp.

When I had my puffers in a 5.5, I added a group of 20 RCS to the tank. Mostly all adults. They got by for a while, but slowly, very slowly, the population would decrease. Never saw any babies. Later on, I moved the puffs to their new home, and I started to see more baby shrimp and adult shrimp. So the puffs will eat them, unfortunately. Excuse to set up a new tank though?

The negative is snails poop so much they were always making a mess of the tank. Needing large amounts of water changing whereas the shrimp prefer a small pwc to maintain nice stable tank parameters.
Oh man the ramshorns do poop a lot. It seems like they poop more than the mystery snails relative to size.

Maybe a limited number or special color RH with them.
After seeing TMaier's gigantic ramshorn, I've been considering isolating one of the black snails. I have so many leopard spots and a few pink, but the black ones strike me as especially beautiful.

When I had my puffers in a 5.5, I added a group of 20 RCS to the tank. Mostly all adults. They got by for a while, but slowly, very slowly, the population would decrease. Never saw any babies. Later on, I moved the puffs to their new home, and I started to see more baby shrimp and adult shrimp. So the puffs will eat them, unfortunately.
Thank you, that is helpful. I've been reading all over the internet and a lot of places say it's possible. But a lot of places can be wrong!

Excuse to set up a new tank though?
Someday. I am not up for the equipment required at this point. So many heaters, thermometers, filters, prefilters, lights, timers... I'm running out of outlets!

I'm loving the tank so far, and can't wait to see the finished product, but I've just had a thought, on your ceramic wall/divider, I don't know if it's just because it's on a picture, but the pattern isn't that visible, and I know this would be quite a bit of work now, but in the future maybe see about adding some paint to the pattern, maybe a dark blue, rather than a black, don't want it too dark, possibly a light blue would work too, I wasn't all that artsy in school, not really my thing

I'm loving the tank so far, and can't wait to see the finished product, but I've just had a thought, on your ceramic wall/divider, I don't know if it's just because it's on a picture, but the pattern isn't that visible, and I know this would be quite a bit of work now, but in the future maybe see about adding some paint to the pattern, maybe a dark blue, rather than a black, don't want it too dark, possibly a light blue would work too, I wasn't all that artsy in school, not really my thing

Thank you!

I used a shino, which is a very reactive type of glaze. I had expected the color to break more green in the carvings, but it turns out that my spray gun lays down glaze really evenly! I had hoped some green algae would fill it in, but those shrimp have no problem getting into the nooks and crannies.

It's currently attached with silicone to keep it in place and prevent it from damaging the glass, so moving it would require completely breaking down the tank.

••••••
I'm realizing that trying to cheat with Fresh's carpet isn't working. It won't stay down, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to break it apart and root smaller sections. It's so pretty, though. I hope I can get it to work.

Thank you!

I used a shino, which is a very reactive type of glaze. I had expected the color to break more green in the carvings, but it turns out that my spray gun lays down glaze really evenly! I had hoped some green algae would fill it in, but those shrimp have no problem getting into the nooks and crannies.

It's currently attached with silicone to keep it in place and prevent it from damaging the glass, so moving it would require completely breaking down the tank.

••••••
I'm realizing that trying to cheat with Fresh's carpet isn't working. It won't stay down, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to break it apart and root smaller sections. It's so pretty, though. I hope I can get it to work.
Yeah I thought taking it out might end up requiring the tank to be taken apart, just a thought for the house and tunnel depending on what you decide to do with those, might be good to see the house completely painted in some bright colours, maybe some of the colours used in some of the scenes in ponyo, im thinking the scene where all the potions are being put in to the water, iirc that part of the film is particularly bright and colourful, would make a good focal point if it was raised as if on a hill on its own, again, I have no idea how painting and firing ceramics would work for a fish tank

... for the house and tunnel depending on what you decide to do with those, might be good to see the house completely painted in some bright colours, maybe some of the colours used in some of the scenes in ponyo, im thinking the scene where all the potions are being put in to the water, iirc that part of the film is particularly bright and colourful, would make a good focal point if it was raised as if on a hill on its own, ...

There's a
papercraft version of Sosuke's house
that's gorgeous. It's 1/150th scale!

I'd love to find a finished one to purchase. I do make fairy houses, though, so I can make a house pretty decently from an image.

The scape has definitely drifted from my original vision. I think I responded to the coating of algae in crisis mode. I need to get back on track.

There's a
papercraft version of Sosuke's house
that's gorgeous. It's 1/150th scale!

I'd love to find a finished one to purchase. I do make fairy houses, though, so I can make a house pretty decently from an image.

The scape has definitely drifted from my original vision. I think I responded to the coating of algae in crisis mode. I need to get back on track.
Wow, that looks fantastic, shame it's 50 dollars and made of paper, as much as the colours are accurate on that, I cant help but wonder how well a more brightly painted one would look, nothing neon like, but something you could still tell was from ponyo, im really liking the idea for tunnels and stuff now, and thinking I may get or make a basic tunnel when I get my larger tank, maybe a little substrate or just go for sand, as i quite like the brightness sand gives at the bottom of the tank, and a few plants

20170510_075537.jpg
Holes in the leaves?

I cant help but wonder how well a more brightly painted one would look, nothing neon like, but something you could still tell was from ponyo,

I have a glaze that is the perfect color.

im really liking the idea for tunnels and stuff now, and thinking I may get or make a basic tunnel when I get my larger tank, maybe a little substrate or just go for sand, as i quite like the brightness sand gives at the bottom of the tank, and a few plants

Our community tank has pool filter sand. It used to have moon sand, which I loved. It is definitely brighter-- to the degree that I thought there was something different about the lights on each tank. We have the same model light, but it seems so much brighter in the community tank! Switched them, same difference. The thing that I'm currently struggling with in terms of the blackness of the Eco Complete is that the puffers poop a lot. You're not supposed to vacuum it, so...

20170510_075431.jpg

Back
Top Bottom