Pool Filter Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For our planted 120 we used 200 pounds of PFS (50lbs per bag, 4 bags). I have about a 4 inch depth. But I also like a deep layer for diggers. Our pleco likes to "shimmy" down into the sand and our firemouths dug out spawning pits (they are now int heir own tank)

I'll echo that I used about 50lbs for my 55g tank and ended up with prob 1.5" or so even spread. I have a couple swords and even with their huge root system I don't think I needed any more than that.

I have the 25 and almost 3/4 of a 50lb. bag did good, so I am assumiing if you got around 100 lbs and added it slowly you would have enough. you could always take some out or add more if you don't have the amount you want. I am guessing this tank is filled or anything yet so it wouldn't matter if you got it right the first time :)

I just thought of something, doesn't it turn to mud?

No, why would it, there's no soil in there.
Sure, when you get it wet it'll look like a horrible sodden mass. I know when I put my sand in the tank I thought I'd make a horrible mistake as it was dark brown gloop which looked horrible. But once it was in and the tank was full it looked as good as it did when it was dry.

How do plecos do with sand? I currently have a 10g with 1 pleco, 2 black mollys and 2 silver mollys that I am, in short time, going to make a 29g tank out of with some plant life hopefully. I want to get away from rocks as they hold so much of the molly's waste and keep the balances of the tank varying in such a small space unless I really stay on top of it.

Plecos do fine with sand. However you should consider rehoming your pleco, it will get big big big. (the length of your tank big)

My plecos do fine with the sand. My common pleco likes to kick it up and get sand on top of every thing I'm convinced he does it just to annoy me since he usually does it right after a pwc and everything is looking pretty.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how in turns out in a week or two...

Hi everybody, haven't had an aquarium since I was a kid but I recently got my same terrapin that I had back then. He's more than 18 years old now.

I'm buying him a new 40 br tomorrow and have been doing research into the proper substrate for him. Would like to use the PFS but am actually having trouble finding the cheap stuff here. Well, at Home Depot anyway, gonna try Leslie's tomorrow.

My research also indicates crushed coral would be a good idea for him so I am wondering if mixing it with the sand would be ok or if anyone here has done so and what was the outcome. I want to get him set up as soon as possible because it doesn't appear he's been given proper care for a while now. I didn't know turtles could get fat but this guy looks like a reptilian marlon brando living on cheeseburger island.

Look forward to hearing from you guys and hopefully becoming a regular here as I rediscover a lost childhood passion.

welcome to aa! the home depot around me didn't have PFS either, neither did lowes, menards, meijer, walmart, anywhere. I had to go to a pool store to get mine. It was like 9$ for a 50lb. bag. I don't know about the rest of your post but hopefully this will help a little :)

I don't know why everyone always complains so much about the cost of sand. It's no more than the equivalent gravel and when you compare to the cost of decorations and the tank itself it's very small.

aqualad, look for Quikrete Medium Sand. It's pretty much the same stuff as PFS. I got mine at Home Depot for $3 for 50lb.

Well Mark, I'm on a budget. If I wasn't I probly would be getting him the argonite, but I'm about to drop some cash to get my DBT everything he needs. So I'm not complaining, just have to be economical where I can. Thanks momma and BigJim for the advice. There is a Leslie's not far and Home Depot definitely does have medium sand. Anyone have any advice about mixing it with the crushed coral?

The sand will probably settle to the bottom and the cc will be on top. That seems to be a trend with people who try to mix sand and gravel. Eventually the sand will settle to the bottom.

Thanks meegosh. That's pretty much what I want. Leslie's does have the PFS for $8.99. Now I need to find the plant threads.

I've recently encountered a problem with PFS. It doesn't let dwarf hairgrass grow very well. My DHG tends to get jammed between sand particles and has problems getting shoots to come up.

interesting... thanks for that info, Crepe. i'll keep that in mind when looking for carpeting plants.. maybe if you planted it a little shallower so it doesn't have so much sand to push through?

Back
Top Bottom