Posible fungal infection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I'm back after a few years away from the forum, but not away from the hobby! Mind you, several changes in my life, all good, are taking a lot of the time I used to dedicate to my fish.

I've updated my profile, so you should be able to see the tanks description.

Now to the issue: I always use a QT tank, but for reasons I have not discovered yet, most of the fish I tried to quarenteen there in the last few months have died. Then I did something I NEVER do, I bought 8 rummy nose tetras and put them directly in the 75 g tank. Big mistake! :mad:

After 7 days, 2 of the rummies have white spots. They are now in the QT tank since yesterday and I'm medicating using Pimafix (recommended by Big Als) and... hopping for the best!

But I also noted that one of my diamond tetras has greyish black spots along his stomach. I have not seen this before.

I wonder if I should treat the whole tank now. All other fish are still fine and all seem to be in good spirits!

Tank parameters: ammonia 0 - nitrites 0, nitrates<20 , temp 80, pH 7.2

Last water change and vacuum the gravel 7 days ago- I do WC every ~10 days ~30% water

Other than that, nothing is new with the tank which is been running for about 5 years.

Your advice will be very valuable! Thanks!:cool:

Attachments

• Various 2010 103.jpg
    Various 2010 103.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 79
I can't really see anything out of that picture. Black spots doesn't sound like fungus. Are they furry in anyway?

White spots... Black spots... Need better descriptions and ideally much better pics.

Until then, I'll throw out one of my canned replies for bacterial & fungal infections.
ChileRelleno said:
The familiar and seemingly ubiquitous infections we've named Cotton Mouth, Fin Rot, Body Slime, Saddle back, Cotton Wool, Columnaris & Fungus, are usually the result of one or more, of two types of nasties, either fungal or bacterial in nature.
Both are common in the aquarium, it being a good petri dish, and given the chance they thrive on our fish.
Stress of all kinds, e.g. over crowding, fighting, drastic changes in environment and etc, and injury/illness, leads to suppressed immune systems, thus giving them the chance to take hold.

These bacterial infections are the result of gram negative, aerobic, Flavobacterium, Flexibacter and/or Myxobacteria.
Bacterial usually appear as white/gray powder coating, slime and cob webbing, combined with skin/tissue lesions in live tissue.
Effective treatment(s) includes, fix whatever is stressing the fish, good water quality (NO3 below 20ppm), lowering temp to less than 75'F for duration of treatment, Pimafix (mild cases), Salt, Acriflavin (mild cases), Maracyn-2, Kanamycin & Furan-2 and other gram negative specific antibiotics.
Do not use gram positive medications such as Tetracycline, Erythromycin & Melafix.

Fungal infections are usually the result of Achyla and/or Saprolegnia fungi.
Fungal often appear as hair like, fuzzy white cotton growth, most common on tissues damaged by injury, parasites and other disease. In general it needs necrotic tissue to feed on, but it can affect live tissue too.
Effective treatment(s) includes, thorough cleaning of the aquarium/filter(s), excellent water chemistry, Acriflavin, Triple Sulfas, Pimafix, QuickCure, Maraoxy, Paraguard and Salt... Salt works wonders with fungus.

I'm going to work on adding info on the most common gram positive bacterial infection aquarist face, along with Aeromonas & Furunculosis.

Back
Top Bottom