possible outcome of fish fight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugalips124

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My rosy barb had a red spot on his lipwhen I went to do my sinking food midnight feeding. It seems to be a bloodshot. I forgot to record the video in wide screen so if someone could tell me what happened to my fish?

It's hard to say......I couldn't really see the injury in the video. They are pretty active though and it looks like one is being harassed....is that the one with the injury? It may have bumped into something. Can you get a better photo of the actual injury? It may heal on its own with clean water, maybe add some STress Coat to promote healing. If it looks infected then it may need to be treated with meds.

I also looked at your profile....not sure if it's accurate but if so the sharks will need to be upgraded or rehomed; they do better in groups of 5 but they can grow up to 3 feet. The CAE can become aggressive as it matures and they grow large (10"+) as well.

If it seems like one barb is bullying the others you can try putting it into a breeder net for a few days for a time-out. Adding more to the group might help mitigate aggression as well. The giant danios would do better in a larger group too, although you'd probably need to rehome the sharks and CAE before you can add anything else depending on how large they are now.

There is going to a be a 150 gallon tank started in June and will begin adding fish in July. The sharks were bought simply to get them aquanted with a happy life style. Purchased online. Very stressed at arrival. But the cae will be removed along with the sharks and danios in June. Will be having a nice barb tank and then my nice little monster tank in the basement. But I believe the red spot is from fighting over dominance they seem to be the biggest 2 barbs that are fighting. In my opinion who ever wins.. Wins. I'm not gonna sit there and watch. Figured let nature take it way. Wasn't sure if it coulda been some type of fungus (scared me)

It's hard to tell without seeing the injury. Fungus is usually white. Red can indicate a bacterial infection but again it just might be an injury that isn't infected yet. Try keeping the water clean and stress levels down (if possible). If it gets worse then maybe isolate the fish and try an antibacterial med. Maybe adding more hiding spots and/or moving decorations around might help throw off territories in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom