Possible silly question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've aquired my old 55g tank I had for six years as a SW reef. The guy I sold it to sold or gave away everything that was in it. (makes me very sad) He gave me the tank back now a year later and I have it here in the garage. I don't really have room inside the house anymore for it but would love to set it up in the garage. Obviously the temperature out here fluxuates between the summer and winter. Winter a good heater or two can keep the temp up there but in the summer the heat would be a killer to most fish. Is there any tank setup that can be done to handle high heat? Also, if there was, would the cold temps in the winter with the heaters cranking to keep it warm break the tank or cause damage? I'm currently guessing there is no way but thought I'd ask.

It really depends on how hot/cold your garage gets. Keeping it next to a wall adjoining the house may help some. In the summer you can put a fan blowing across the surface and frequently add water. Or go with a chiller. In the winter just use more heaters.

You can also put some insulation all around the tank. I have seen people use velcro to attach the 2 inch thick styro insulation to all sides of the tank....then you can easily take one side off when you are out there viewing it. This will help to keep it warm in the winter, cool in the summer.

Discus love warmer temps in the mid 80's on average so do angelfish. But you really don't want the temp to ever go above the 90 degree range on a consistant basis.

A chiller would certainly help as would fans blowing across the surface but it depends on how hot it gets in there whether fans would be enough.

frozen water bottles fans over the top.... worst case a chiller. what temps are we talking about?

Back
Top Bottom