Pregnant Danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there, I have a Zebra Danio that looks like it has been pregnant for several weeks now. Is it possible that its not pregnant and maybe just sick and or bloated?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey there, I have a Zebra Danio that looks like it has been pregnant for several weeks now. Is it possible that its not pregnant and maybe just sick and or bloated?

Hello,
When I had my Zebra Danios the females were pretty rounded all the time. I don't know I could have just been feeding them to much. There like piranhas.
As long as they aren't swimming funny they should be ok.
I'm not sure about the pregnant thing, since they drop eggs instead of giving birth I don't think they get too rounded when they have eggs, but I could be wrong.
Just watch for babies!
Merry Christmas!

Here is a pic I tried to capture of my danio. You think this is normal?

Attachments

• 1388192151122.jpg
    1388192151122.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 1388192173046.jpg
    1388192173046.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 158
Here is a pic I tried to capture of my danio. You think this is normal?

You know to be honest I don't want to give you the wrong advice and say its normal so I'm not going to say but hopefully someone else can help.
Sorry.

Looks like she is about to explode though...right?

No. Just swimming right along. There are two like this in my tank. Both seem fine. Just fat.

My females were pretty big. And my male looked like a torpedo.
They could be ok.
Just keep an eye on them.
If anything weird comes up just come back on here.

Had they always looked like that? Could be birth defect.
Seen it a fair bit in certain tetras and cichlids here.
But looks almost like a Molly haha

They just started looking like that about 4 weeks ago. Does kinda look like a molly. Haha.

Well sad to update that my danio was not prenant. Found her floating at the top of my tank today. Must have been some sort of parasites.

Well sad to update that my danio was not prenant. Found her floating at the top of my tank today. Must have been some sort of parasites.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

So there is one more danio that is starting to get bloated. No sure what to do. I don't have a nursing tank and I don't want to just watch this death process happen again. What to do...?

Thinking to separate the fish in a breeders basket and treat for internal parasites. Good idea...or bad idea?

It reminds me of an egg bound betta... Try de-shelled peas maybe?

Really starting to get confused. I haven't lost any fish in over a year. I lost a danio to what I think now may have been a parasite, I have another danio that is starting to look bloated and this morning I found a neon tetra dead in one of my plants. Not even bloated or anything.!! I did a water change last night planted a new plant and added 5 new fish. Could the new fish have been the culprit???

Here are my parameters

Attachments

• 1388953310685.jpg
    1388953310685.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 91
Oh and I also forgot to mention that when I did my water change I installed two new filters and dosed my tank with Seachem Flourish for my plants. I have never used this stuff before. Has any one else used it...does it kill fish?

Just lost a rubber lipped pleco tonight. Really weird. I have fish dying like crazy. Never experienced this before.

When you replaced the filters you out all the old material back in the new ones right?

Flourish shouldn't kill fish. It didn't touch mine

Back
Top Bottom