Pregnant Ghost Shrimp, white spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 45g planted freshwater tank that is still cycling (currently 7.8ph, 0.25 Ammonia, 1-2ppm nitrites, 5- nitrates, 78 degrees), with 5 tetra serpae and one raphael catfish, and about 7-9 ghost shrimp. I'm on day 21 since tank started.

I noticed one ghost shrimp is pregnant (if that's the proper word for carrying eggs). I doubt they will survive, I have no other tank to keep them safe from either the serpae or the canister filter, but I also noticed the female has strange crystalline white spots all over her.

I don't see them on any of the other shrimp.

Is it a disease? A normal part of either babies and/or prior to shedding?

If it's a disease, wanted to remove her.

All the fish and shrimp act very healthy and happy, eat regularly, the shrimp swim wildly at times, and have been growing and shedding occasionally.

Here are a couple photos, one the shrimp with eggs, one without. Hope it's OK to post large, so you can see the detail on the spots, click to zoom in and they look like little crystals, all very regular, not like a bug or something.

i-MKDWnqh.jpg

i-w3fdWj2.jpg

Am I right the babies (fry?) will disappear into the filter, most likely? I don't have a second tank or any way to isolate them, hate to see them doomed. Wrap intake in a sponge for a few days? Or will they still die stuck to that sponge?

PS. Yes, fishless cycling is better, got it. Please, I've read those threads. And I realize these shrimp and/or fish may not survive. Nonetheless it's a learning opportunity so I'm curious about the spots.

Nothing wrong with those shrimp. The spots are not a disease. Eggs will be dropped when ready, rise to surface and hatch. Some may survive, I have had some live to maturity in a 29 g community tank. But most will likely be eaten.

Good, thank you. Still carrying them now, found I actually had two with eggs (that look almost identical but I finally saw them together). So we'll see.

Most of the shrimp died over a relatively short period for reasons unknown, I put the remainder into a community tank to see if a bigger environment that I knew was stable would help, but eventually all disappeared.

Oh darn, sorry to hear that. Mine's pregnant and I was wondering survival rate of the eggs/hatchlings. Looks like they will just be a tasty treat to my betta lol!

Back
Top Bottom