Preparing a used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andreahp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a 10gal tank I'm planning to use for QT purposes from someone off of Craigslist - she upgraded her tank and gave it to me along with a few shells and some other decorations. Should I clean it out with a bleach solution and how strong of a solution should I use - also how should I clean the other things I was given?

I purchased a used 55 gallon from someone off of CL and I just rinsed every thing under extremely hot water. I didn't have any issues, but then again, I didn't know that bleaching was an option. I've seen posts where people suggest bleaching after you use your QT and you're wanting to store it until you need it. I'm sure it would be ok to use bleach if you don't plan on setting it up soon.

But, I'll let others w/ more experience w/ this chime in...

Congrats on your QT tank btw! (y) (I just set one up myself)

I wouldn't bleach it. When I received a use tank I washed with hot water an a clean sponge. Seeing it was used as an aquarium I would just wash I with hot water and a cloth or sponge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

When I bleach stuff I do a 1:20 mixture. One cup of bleach to 20 cups of water. After rinsing multiple times with water, fill it up and double dose your dechlorinator or let air dry. I usually let mine air dry. Hot water will not always get rid of all the nasty stuff! :)

Meegosh's 5% bleach solution works. A 10% white vinegar solution also works for cleaning, but won't disinfect like the bleach.

Back
Top Bottom