Problems with Jordanella Floridae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceratophyllum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am beginning to see why aquarium shops rarely have these fish. This fish leads to unhappy customers. Especially when aquarium books by Herbert Axlerod call them "peaceful."
These new aquarium books really annoy me when they have all pictures and only icons to tell you about how to care for the fish.

They are somewhat aggressive toward one another. While not murderous, they are not very relaxing to watch. They can become very aggressive toward other species if you only have one and attack vulnerable fish like angels and bettas. (However a group of them seems to keep the sparring within the group. A few jordanella ignored a betta for a week, they were so focused on each other.) Sometimes, especially after a move, they are very timid--enough so that a female betta can hurt them.

Why are they so expensive? They cost a lot more than many imported fish and they are native to Florida! I live in Florida and they're $4 each. You can find them wild all over the place. But if you only look in pet shops, you'd think them rare. The best lfs in my area had only 3 males and the salesman thought they were cichlids. I haven't seen them in shops since the 80s.

They are very destructive to the plants they like. 2 of these guys ate an unbelievable amount of anacharis in a week. Not my favourite plant, but it looks like hell once they're done with it. Now they're starting on the wisteria. On the other hand, they did quickly eat a all of my hairy green algae. They seem to be getting more adventurous in trying strange plants now that the algae is gone.

I have a pair in a community tank. They ignored all the fish in the tank, including a male betta, until I added angelfish to the mix. They don't like the angels and are nippy with them. I've had these fish twice and this is the first time I'd seen aggression except when spawning. I don't know why they are not seen more in the fish stores but one shop I do frequent has them regularly and at a price tag of $1.99 ea. I still think they are great fish. The males are extraordinary once colored up. I've never had them eat my plants though. But then, I only have java fern and hornwort in the tank. Now I'm considering getting some anacharis for them. :)

Wow...that is pricey...I got mine for $3.50CDN (about $2.98US) each, and mine had to come a long way from Florida. I have mine in two tanks....one with some mollies, and the other with some Apistos....they seem to do just fine in both environments.

Try keeping them in an ARLC tank. That calms them right down :wink:

I've kept a trio (two males and a female) of J. floridae by themselves in my 30G grow out tank for plants for two months now and I've already got a couple of fry swimming around. Cute little guys. They seem to get along just fine since they've got plenty of space. Could it be a crowding issue?

I don't think mine are too crowded: 2 males in a 20 gal tank with lots of plants. What's ARLC? It's not on the list of common abbreviations.

I have kept a male with two females in a 20 gallon with no problem towards each other or my other fish. Maybe you should get them their own 10 gallon tank.

I don't find my aggressive except for when the male is guarding eggs. I think many have different results with these guys. I keep three females with him also so he is usually busy displaying to the ladies. I could see two males in a 20 being the problem. That isn't much space if your fish act like mine. My male has essentally staked out a region in the tank. It is where they always spawn it covers essentially a third of my tank. He doesn't venture from this portion of the tank too often. He is just fine with fish entering this area but no doubt would not get along if I placed another male into the tank.

I have 2 males in my heavily planted 55 (female on hair algae duty in another tank - she was the only one I could catch) and they are fine together, and do not damage the plants. I have heard mixed results with these fish but mine get along great with the other fish and with each other, even though I unfortunately wound up with a reverse trio.

I think there are exceptions to all behavior standards, so I'd hate for you to be turned off these cool fish from this experience. Maybe you can swap them out for different individuals. Also, provide them with some algae wafers and fresh veggies so they can get their greens, which might discourage plant eating. However, mine are voracious and eat flake and frozen meaty food, or basically whatever I put in the tank.

I do feed them algae wafers. And flakes. And they demolish the anacharis and wisteria anyway. The few I have are the only ones I've seen in a pet shop since 10 yrs+ so unless I go swimming in a spring I don't think I'll be seeing any more. (Swimming in freshwater is generally a bad idea in Florida, but springs are very cool and clear near their sources. Alligators don't like it cold and clear.)

Mine have an affinity for wisteria also. However it really is more like a pruning service. They keep it just the right size. Now they will make short work of the microsword and I am keeping my eye on some E. tennelus.

Back
Top Bottom