QT Tank Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

43Gallons

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm soon to have a ten gallon fish tank which I am going to cycle and then use as a quarantine for the fish I will be stocking in my 35 gallon and 20 gallon tanks. After I have finished doing this, I will have an empty ten gallon tank that I would like to keep cycled. Does anyone have any ideas for a neat-looking fish I could keep in the QT, but that could handle having sick fish placed in and medicated if need be? I want something that is unusual! Er, this is freshwater just to be sure. :fish2:

You could always just keep the filter from the qt tank on an established tank until you have some use for it. That way you wouldnt need to worry about harming another fish or keeping the cycle going in the qt

pantherspawn said:
You could always just keep the filter from the qt tank on an established tank until you have some use for it. That way you wouldnt need to worry about harming another fish or keeping the cycle going in the qt

+1

It's better to put the QT in storage and put its filter on an established tank. Then, when needed, you can take the tank out, fill it up with dechlorinated water, pull that tank's filter off the established tank, put it back on the QT, and you've got a cycled QT ready to go.

I've also seen it suggested that, in the case of quaranteening a sick fish, you could do a 50/50 mix of tank water that fish was in and new dechlorinated water. That way, the water will be as close as possible to the tank the fish came from.

Thank you all, but I think you misunderstand! I don't want to just relegate the tank to a closet, primarily because I have no space. I also don't want an empty tank sitting out. I'd just like to know of a neat fish which I could keep in the tank!

Back
Top Bottom