Question about hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozzypop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have been treating for ich and bacterial infection at the same time in my tank grrr- I have a goldfish, a pleco, and four African dwarf frogs. I don't want to subject my frogs to all the treatments because they are not sick so I tried to set up a hospital tank. BUT it isn't cycled. Not sure if it would be beneficial at all for me to put them in a separate tank or not. I tested both water and everything is about the same with perfect levels of everything except a little high in ammonia ugh(which I have detoxified). Basically both the tanks suck so I don't know if it is better to keep them in a new tank and just keep detoxifying the ammonia, but can keep them away from the ich/bacteria/2 different medicines/salt OR just keep them in the main tank that I can hopefully get back in its cycle soon after I beat the diseases.

If you keep them in the hospital tank, you can just closely monitor the water parameters and do frequent water changes. Also, watch the water parameters in the treated tank, as often meds, especially antibiotics, will slow or destroy all or part of your beneficial bacteria

Its not clear if you plan on moving the sick fish to the QT and medicating that, or moving the frogs to the QT and medicating the main tank. It would be better to medicate the QT to avoid any risk of the medication crashing the cycle in your main tank.

I have the same thing going on. Moved my ram to the QT. I moved enough media from my established tank to the filter in the QT to support the single fish and i will do a small daily water change to make sure. Probably do a water test too. Rinsing a sponge from your established filter into the QT water will transfer some BB too. Depending on the medication your BB might be OK. We dont have access to anything too potent here in the UK so im fairly confident i wont crash anything with what im dosing.

Back
Top Bottom