Question on canister filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a Aqua-top CF500 for my 55g. This filter has 4 media trays. One I have the filters in, second I am running carbon, third and fourth I am running bio-balls in. Just curious what any one else is using on theirs. Also how much active carbon is a good amount to use. It came with 500 grams so that is what I am using at the moment. Another quick questions(newbie with canisters). On each tray is their suppose to be a filter? I am just using 3 filters in the bottom tray and media in the other three. Thanks for any suggestions here.

A lot of people don't use carbon other than removing tannins and medication. I have a canister filter that will hopefully be up and running soon here that I have poly-fil on the intake side. In the baskets, I have bio-media, with one layer of poly-fil at the very top right before it returns to the tank as an extra polishing pad. Pretty much same set up in my HOB.

I have an Aquatop CF400UV. It came with a coarse pad, three fine cotton pads, bag-o-carbon and bio-balls. I have it set up so...

Bottom tray - coarse pad, medium pad I cut myself from bulk media, fine cotton pad.
Middle tray - fine cotton pad, bag-o-ceramic rings.
Top tray - fine cotton pad, bag-o-ceramic rings.

I saved the carbon for possible future med removal. Bio-balls are more for a wet/dry filter not a canister so I used those in my DIY CO2 reactor.

Sorry I am using Ceramic-balls in the top two trays. I read that people don't always use the carbon. So what would be best use in its place?. Is their a advantage to using both bio-balls and ceramic-balls?

Ok...I am using the white coarse pads. Probably will get some blue fine ones this weekend. Or sooner

I have 3 aquatop canisters. I run a course sponge in the bottom tray, floss in the middle and biomedia in the top in the 3 tray models and course sponge in the bottom, floss in the second tray and biomedia in the last two for the 4 tray models. I find doing it this way keeps the biomedia cleaner.
I kept the carbon for future use if needed.

Were is a good place to get the blue filter pads?

polcat said:
Were is a good place to get the blue filter pads?

LFS. Buy a bag of bulk for about six bucks. Use one of your white pads to make a cardboard pattern then just cut the pattern out of the bulk media.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions...I have live plants to in my aquarium...maybe taking out the carbon will help them live longer...

Back
Top Bottom