Questions about 1.5 gallon tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took care of my moms 5g hex and it had at least 50 snails and 20 guppies. I did my best to take care of it but there were many deaths. My mom never changed the water in 3 years!!! SO when I did fish died.

I think a swordtail is too big. I would stick with the guppies. Maybe a female betta but no fiddler crab. I would not recommend the puffer, danio, or dwarf frog. Mystery snail fine. If you change the water, 25% per week, guppies and snails and even a betta will do fine. Maybe even a shrimp. That is just a small amount of water to get rid of bioload (poo).

Thanks I'm either getting oa 1.5 gallon,a 3 gallon or a 5 gallon tank for Christmas.

I took care of my moms 5g hex and it had at least 50 snails and 20 guppies. I did my best to take care of it but there were many deaths. My mom never changed the water in 3 years!!! SO when I did fish died.

Wow

I know that with one single betta, in ANY of those sizes, the water needs to be changed twice a week. And that is a pretty small bio-load.

I know that with one single betta, in ANY of those sizes, the water needs to be changed twice a week. And that is a pretty small bio-load.
Man,that's too bad for me because I have limited space so my biggest choice in a 5 gallon.:(

Even if you did have a betta in a 5G, you would still need to change the water at LEAST once a week.
I was just stating that the more fish and things you put in there, the more water changes you are going to have to do. Bettas don't put out much waste, and I still have to change my water in my 5G twice a week.

Oh
Then I guess the betta is my only choice then.

Your best bet is a bigger tank. If you are confined to one of 5G or under, I'd still suggest a Betta or invert tank. There are "nano" fish out there that would work, but they are not easily found and are a bit more expensive than guppies at the local chain store.

Can I get get say two fish and a couple of say shrimp and stuff llike that?

The aquariums that i'm thinking about are
Eclipse 5 hexagon(5 Gallons)
Mini Bow(5 gallons)
Haweye 360(3 gallons)

Is this your first tank?

Go with either the Mini Bow or the Eclipse 5. My wife has the Eclipse with a betta, three neons, and a mystery snail and they do fine. I change about half the water once a week. The nitrates get up to 10-20ppm in a week.

Your stocking choices are rather limited with a 5g tank.
- A betta is a good choice. They're pretty fish with a lot of personality.
- Guppies or Endlers' are another option, but you should limit yourself to only one sex. If they start breeding, you'll overfill that tank in no time.
- Red Cherry Shrimp do well in small tanks. You can keep them with guppies.

Is there any chance you could swing a 10g? It doesn't take up much more room than a 5g and it opens a lot more doors when it comes to picking fish. Keeping fish turns into a sickness and you'll find you never have enough room. Over the years I've gone 3g Hex to 10g to 20L to 29g to 29g & 10g to 29g & 5g Hex to 29g, 20L, & 5g Hex and there's still not enough room.

Is this your first tank?

Go with either the Mini Bow or the Eclipse 5. My wife has the Eclipse with a betta, three neons, and a mystery snail and they do fine. I change about half the water once a week. The nitrates get up to 10-20ppm in a week.

- Guppies or Endlers' are another option, but you should limit yourself to only one sex. If they start breeding, you'll overfill that tank in no time.

Is there any chance you could swing a 10g? It doesn't take up much more room than a 5g and it opens a lot more doors when it comes to picking fish. Keeping fish turns into a sickness and you'll find you never have enough room. Over the years I've gone 3g Hex to 10g to 20L to 29g to 29g & 10g to 29g & 5g Hex to 29g, 20L, & 5g Hex and there's still not enough room.
I like the Endlers or guppies,and I wanted to get either one fiddler crab,a couple of shrimps,or a couple of mystery snails.
And no I can't get a 10 gal. 5 is my biggest choice.:(

Go with either small shrimp or the snails. Fiddler crabs aren't truly aquatic. They need a place to get out and dry off occasionally. Good luck. We all need to start somewhere.

Is this your first tank?

Would a swordtail with a guppy and a endler work?

swordtails tend to need a larger amount of space, they like to move around, a swordtail would need at least 10-20 gallons. you can have like 10-15 endlers/guppies (they cross breed, so heads up)

swordtails tend to need a larger amount of space, they like to move around, a swordtail would need at least 10-20 gallons. you can have like 10-15 endlers/guppies (they cross breed, so heads up)
10-15 in a 5 gallon?

i can fit like 10 in mine, as long as you dont have too many males, you should be fine...

oh
But bad news for me I had to buy a 1.5 gallon tank =(

Back
Top Bottom