questions about lighting (& more) for a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purplestarfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay. I've been wanting to do a lushly planted tank for . . . well, for ages! But I have a lighting issue.
I currently have a single T-8 flourescent (however you spell that) light fixture. As we all know, flourescent lights are extremely weak, and this supports nothing but java ferns and the likes. So. I plan on getting a three T-8 light fixture (holds 3 T-8 bulbs). With flourescent bulbs, this would supply the tank with 96-120 watts of light. Is this enough? Do I need to look into the ultra-expensive options of Actinic or VHO lights? I really can't afford anything (even the 3 T-8 is straining my budget), so is there a good, not-too-horribly-expensive alternative, or should I start saving up now?
And while I'm at it . . . CO2. If I put three or four of those Hagen CO2 distributers in the tank, will that be sufficient? (Again, much as I'd like to, I really can't afford much more than that, unless I start saving now for something, like, 5 years down the road, at which point I'll be done with high school and almost college and it'll be pointless.)
And finally . . . a dorky question . . . but can one grow papyrus in tanks? I know it's supposed to be for ponds, but . . . uhh . . . well, it's just a question! :wink:

start saving. if have a plant and you're going to do it, do it right. actinics won't do anything for plants and vho lights aren't necessary. check out http://ahsupply.com that's where i get my lights. the quality, price, and info can't be beat, imo.

as for CO2, a couple 2-liter DIY setups should be more than enough on a 55 gallon. although the problem with this method is regulation. PM me if you want more info about it.

A 55g with DIY CO2 might be pushing it. Maybe you could run 3-2 liters that are stagered to help with stability.

In example....with 3 bottles you could mix a new batch every week for one bottle. Thus, when one bottle starts to slow, you would have a fresh bottle starting to fizzle. Helping to keep things more stable. Just a thougth. 55g still sounds like a lot of water for DIY CO2. Perhaps someone else will chim in on this one.

If your like most aquarist. You have more time than money. A DIY CO2 yeast method is dirt cheap to build compared to preassurized CO2. Might be worth 10 or 20 bucks and a half day to build it and see what happens.

One thing I can't stress enough. Make sure you have a basic understanding of water chemistry before you start a planted tank. Amount of lighting, water PH, Amon, Nitri, Nitra, Phos, water temp, amount of CO2, amount/type of ferts used, type of plants, type/size of fish, etc...... all play a very important part in a planted tank. Keep in mind, a planted tank is a biosphere, were everything lives in harmony.

As for lighting. I vote for AHSupply as well. Great lights as well as excellent service. Save your money if you have to and get what is needed for plants to carry on photosynthasize. Lighting is extremely important to the success of a planted tank. For plants you want at least 2 WPG. If this is your first planted tank and your not sure about CO2, stay under 2.5 WPG and add plants that will thrive under your tanks lighting conditions.

Thnx so much; definitely looking into it. Greatly appreciate the advice . . . but I guess that's why I come here! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom