Questions on stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
So while my tank is cycling I've been researching the fish I want to add later down the line. I'm unsure on how multiple species of tangs will do in the same tank. These are the fish I would like to add in the long run and I wondered if any of you guys new if they would be ok together. From what I read they all need at least a 70gal tank.

Kole Yellow Eye tang
Bristletooth tomini tang
Blue Hippo tang
Yellow tang

Would these guys be able to cohabitat peacefully. Also I am planning a reef aquarium so I wondered if any of these are absolute no nos.
They say reef combatible with caution and it makes me wonder how much caution...

I still have a while before I can add any of them.

I also read that you can mix multiple species of tank bred clowns in one tank if you introduce them all at the same time and I wanted to get the take of some people with experience..

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Andari

Kole Yellow Tangs are one of my favorite fish, I like them alot. I would stay away from the bristletooth tang in a newer tank. Blue Hippo's get large and they are very prone to ich so I also would avoid with a newer tank. The famous yellow tang is a great fish also, however I would pick one of these tangs for now.

How big is your tank? If you have a large tank you can add 2 Tangs eventually, however the key is not to have Tangs that are similar in shape.

As far as clownfish you can add 2 at the same time of the same size.

I am sure you know but you should space addions due to the fact that every time you add a new fish to a tank it needs time to adjust to the extra bioload.

Yes I have two clowns in a 47 already, but I was looking into getting different species. I have false clowns now and if it would work out when I transfer my clowns to the 75 gal I would introduce another pair of a diff species.

As for the tangs.. let's say I added A kole as the first fish in my tank. Would it be ok to add a blue hippo later down the line or do you need to add tangs at the same time?

Actually to be honest in a 75 the best fit is the Yellow Tang in my opinion. YT's stay smaller than the rest.

If you already have a pair of clowns, I probably would not add more. I didn't know you already had two

I have two in a diff tank but I'm going to move them to the new tank later on.

What size is the new tank going to be. The 75 would be ok for the yellow as stated and maybe the kole also. I had a yellow and kole in my 55 for 7 years but I also know that sometimes that is not possible all of the time.

I dont think that the Kole Tang would be a very good idea with the Yellow. Alone would be ok but they tend to be aggressive toward all other tangs when not in a big tank (125+) but they are really spectacular fish imo.

I had one at one time that for some reason picked on blennys but for the most part they do not like other Tangs.

Like I said I have 9+ years with both of them together and they got along as two brothers. While mine did chase my black sailfin blenny around he had no problem with my yellow and sailfin tang. As I stated in other post about tangs you kind of want different shapes and colors and sizes when it comes to tangs. A kole tang looks nothing like a yellow tang. Of course this is IME and IMO.

One thing I have learned from reading these forums is that a lot of it seems to depend on the fish. Different people have different experiences. I appreciate everyone's info on this. If I had to only go w/ one I would go with the Kole. I did think with a 75 gal I could add more if I got completely different types.

Yes I understand I also said 125+ and that is what you have :wink:

Then again people say that Yellow Tangs are very aggressive and mine is as passive as can be.

Back
Top Bottom