Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cilantro

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I had one fish tank completly cycled and put another fish tank with no gravel and usEd a filter from that same tank and half of the tank was filed with water from the cycled tank would it be considered cycled? Our would new bacteria have to form remember filter and half of water will be from a completly cycled tank? Anf this question is just random can't sleep and came to my mind

It would pretty much be cycled. My fluval 205 was from an established tank and I hooked it up to my 32G. Ammo went to 0.2 then 0. No problems since. I was lucky and didn't have to cycle mine because of it.

the water really doesn't do a whole lot in regard to the cycling thing, but the filter should help. It still takes time for the tank to build up its colony (biofilm also takes time to build up), but if the used filter is well established it might cycle 'instantly' so to speak.

Most people that I know of that start up new tanks use seeded filter media and add fish right away.

Cilantro said:
If I had one fish tank completly cycled and put another fish tank with no gravel and usEd a filter from that same tank and half of the tank was filed with water from the cycled tank would it be considered cycled? Our would new bacteria have to form remember filter and half of water will be from a completly cycled tank? Anf this question is just random can't sleep and came to my mind

I have never added other tank water to a new tank but I have had success with using a used filter pad in a new tank. For best results in my opinion you should cycle your tank just like you did with the other one. A cycle is a cycle and you have to go through it no matter what.

I have never added other tank water to a new tank but I have had success with using a used filter pad in a new tank. For best results in my opinion you should cycle your tank just like you did with the other one. A cycle is a cycle and you have to go through it no matter what.

I disagree, using seeded media in a new tank will almost have that tank instantly cycled depending on the bioload added but at the worst you'll see a mini-cycle for a couple of days...there is no need to ever to start a cycle from scratch when seeded media is available.

Last edited:
Ill say if you put the seeded filter from a 5 to say, a ten gal, give it a week before you add anything to the bioload, and your good to go.

Placing seeded media into a new tank and leaving it empty for a week will do nothing other than potentially begin starving the bacteria and making it weaker. I would stock right away personally (slowly).

Also, I don't believe in the practice of using "hardy, cycling" fish for that purpose. If a fish-in cycle is done responsibly...there is no need to use other fish for that purpose unless the permanent residents are ridiculously sensitive fish.

Placing seeded media into a new tank and leaving it empty for a week will do nothing other than potentially begin starving the bacteria and making it weaker. I would stock right away personally (slowly).

Also, I don't believe in the practice of using "hardy, cycling" fish for that purpose. If a fish-in cycle is done responsibly...there is no need to use other fish for that purpose unless the permanent residents are ridiculously sensitive fish.

Wow Eco we don't see you around these parts very often J/K

He's absolutely right leaving media without a ammonia source will do nothing besides starve and potenially killing the bacteria making the effort for nothing.

HUKIT said:
Wow Eco we don't see you around these parts very often J/K

He's absolutely right leaving media without a ammonia source will do nothing besides starve and potenially killing the bacteria making the effort for nothing.

I know you've got it under control, so I stay out of the way, lol. ;)

Besides, weird things are happening today...jeta was helping someone with a fishless cycle, and I'm giving instructions on fish-in. It's like the universe somehow fell out of balance, haha!

I leave those alone since I've never actually performed a fishless cycle so you'll never see me hit those up, I'll stop by once in a while and throw in some +1's if you would like so it looks really official...I prefer fish in cycles but don't tell anyone.

Funny thing is, I've only officially done it once setting up a new tank (plus a couple times just for fun to make sure I actually know what I'm talking about here)...but the great thing about having a cycled tank (fishless or otherwise...preferably fishless, lol) is that you really never need to do it again. Every tank I've set up since the first is just like this particular thread where you use seeded media and stock slowly (not waiting a week in between).

If you'd like, I can change my signature to "Cichlid forum + HUKIT = +1 from eco". :)

I've always used a cycled filter ( or media from well established tank) and used substrate as well ( gravel/sand) I've also used in addition to that water from another tank, knowing it doesn't house bacteria but I just do :) never had a problem ** knock on wood** makes it easy to set up a quarantine tank on the fly too :)

I have two well established tanks, and am thinking of starting another one soon. Do I just put a clean filter pack thing from the new tank next to the existing one? How long do I let it run?

If you have room,Also put the new filter in the old tank with a filter in it.... You can never have to much filtration! and let it run...

I literally just completed a fish in, seed to cycle for a previously running 5 gal to 10 gal, same stock, and it took less than 4 days to get mini cycle under control

Back
Top Bottom